Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   99 Camry Electrical Problem (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/99-camry-electrical-problem-49338/)

Cindy Starner 03-09-2014 07:52 PM

99 Camry Electrical Problem

Hello. My 99 Camry has an electrical problem. Things that don't work:
Anything on the dash, all rear lights, shift control, power seats, power windows and power door locks.The car will run and drive. I checked the fuses under the hood and inside the car and cannot find any bad ones. Three weeks ago I had the timing belt/water pump replaced and when I went to pick up the car it had these same symptoms and the tech replaced a fuse and that fixed it. Today a guy I work with replaced the plugs, wires and headlight assemblies. When I went to pick it up same problem but no bad fuses. When I use a fuse tester to test the fuses on the interior fuse panel they all test bad, but when I pull the fuses out they are fine. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

toyomoho 03-10-2014 10:45 AM

The electrical items you listed do not work and never worked?

Or after replacing the timing belt/water pump they didn't work?

Did they ever work?

Could it be the interior fuses that tested bad with fuse tested when installed but tested OK when removed, are not receiving electrical power? Do all fuses in that fuse box test bad when installed?

Rear lights don't work as in tail lights, brake lights, etc?

Nothing works on dash such as lights that indicate which gear the gear shift lever is in or gauges such as fuel quantity, engine temp, etc?

What items do work?

Any signs of wiring damage in engine?

Cindy Starner 03-10-2014 04:02 PM

The items I listed worked fine prior to the last repair. after replacing timing belt/water pump they stopped and the tech replaced a fuse and they worked again. All fuses test bad when installed in that fuse box. I could be that there is no power to that fuse panel, but I don't know how to determine that or how to fix it. Yes, tail lights and brake lights. No gauges or lights work on the dash. No radio, no heater blower, no lights or anything at all on the dash, with the exception of the door ajar light. Car runs but will not shift out of park unless I override it, headlights work. no signals or any other exterior or interior lights. I can't find any damage to wires in the engine compartment.

Cindy Starner 03-10-2014 04:04 PM

When I said "Yes, tail lights and brake lights." I meant that they do not work either.

Cindy Starner 03-10-2014 08:08 PM

I found the problem! Large blue 100a fuse in very front of engine compartment fuse panel.
You have to take the panel apart to change it, which was scary, but everything works now. Thank you for your time and attention Joey P!

toyomoho 03-10-2014 09:37 PM

Great job in finding the problem and replacing the fusible link which can be a challenge if not knowing how.

Most likely the "mechanic" shorted the hot wire to the alternator to ground and blew the fuse. The wire runs to the 100A Alt fuse. The shop should have saw the problem when starting the car of repairs and fixed it.