Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Anyone done Aftermarket Fog Lights? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/anyone-done-aftermarket-fog-lights-49159/)

Patonium 01-30-2014 12:53 AM

Anyone done Aftermarket Fog Lights?

I just recently bought this kit off of ebay:
07 09 Toyota Camry Clear Fog Lights Driving Lamps w Wiring Kit | eBay

All the kits on ebay are the same and I have looked at some 'How to' stuff on TN about these kits so I have a basic understanding. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them.
Thanks for any input or general words of advice.

Patonium 02-05-2014 02:07 AM

I got my kit the other day in the mail it looks legit. The actual lights have glass lenses and come with bulbs. I do wonder about glass lenses getting shattered from road debris and I'm not sure if the factory ones were plastic or glass. The wiring looks sufficient and the switch look ok as well. The kit did come with basic instructions too. I think that I will wire the relay of these lights to the existing low beam lights and forego all the wiring through the dash and switch. Therefore, when low beams are on, fog lights are on.
I will keep the forum posted of my progress but I don't think that I will have a chance to install these anytime soon. I appreciate any words of advice regarding this endeavor.

Patonium 02-07-2014 11:24 PM

So I have done some hunting around for info about the install and I found a great video on youtube:
This really covers just about everything and my kit appears to be from the same manufacturer, even though the video is for a Tacoma. This guy also does some pretty clever stuff and uses somethings that I have never heard of like a fuse tap. Maybe I'm out of touch... He also put silicone sealant in the back sides of some of the electrical connectors (where the wires go into the connector) and sealed them up from the elements. I also plan to do this to mine with all the snow and such up here. I'm pretty sure the bottom engine cover does a pretty good job but why not? Can't hurt.
I was wondering if someone had some advice about removing the blank in the dash? The guy in the video mentions drilling and 1/8" hole in the center of the blank and then screwing in a drywall screw a bit and then just pulling it out. Anyone done that before? I would prefer not to totally scrap out the dash, especially with those air bags for the knees.

Patonium 04-08-2014 12:48 AM

Quick update: I installed these lights about a week ago and I am very happy. $37 well spent. The light output is very good and the wiring harness is sufficient. I did put some silicone caulk on the back sides of the connectors to prevent water and road grime from corroding the connections and I used solder and heat shrink tubing to further the reliability of the connections. The fog light covers don't fit quite as tight as I would like but I think that I am the only one who will notice.
Again, I recommend these cheap eBay fog light kits! Just use some common sense when it comes to quality and reliability issues. I also think that some shaving of the tabs on the fog light covers would make them fit a little bit better.