ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

battert indicatory interpretation

Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Default battert indicatory interpretation

2006 camry with slightly over 80K miles. Could you interpret my battery indicator status please? Need I do anythig? I think according to the pic on the sticker next to the indicator, I think it means OK, but the colors don't exactly match from the indicator to the pic on the sticker.

Attached Thumbnails battert indicatory interpretation-imag3113_1.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Is the car working OK or the battery dead?

If you can't figure the battery condition from the indicator use the following:

For battery charging make sure the battery icon on the dash is not illuminated when the engine is running.

A charged battery should have a voltage of 12.6+ volts, engine off battery, no electrical items on.

For adding water, the caps of the battery should be able to be removed to check the water level in each cell. It should be slightly below the tube extending down into the battery case. See link below:

Interstate Batteries FAQ :: How do I maintain my battery?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 PM

The car is running normal so I think the battery is ok at least for now, but given its age of 8 years, I would like to know if I should just get a new battery with what my pic shows?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

The battery indicator device may not be working correctly as such suggest not using it. However, 8 years is good deal for this kind of battery thus if concerned and have the money suggest replacing it now. Batteries can and do fail without notice after so many years as in when attempting to start in the morning or after work. If having harsh winters, cold can cause a weak battery to fail.