Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Cruise Control Fails To Work Sometimes (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/cruise-control-fails-work-sometimes-49474/)

strausbo 05-18-2014 10:53 AM

Cruise Control Fails To Work Sometimes

I have a 2000 Camry LE with the 4 cylinder engine. It has approx. 140K miles on it now and the cruise control has started to "act up". The green indicator comes on and does NOT flash. The speed does not set when the lever is actuated for set. This does not happen every time the cruise control is used, however. The next time the cruise is used it may work fine. I usually try to fix my car issues but this one has currently got me stumped because it is not predictable. I have owned this car for 13 years now and I would have to say that the cruise control has not been used all that much. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what to check to troubleshoot this problem.

toyomoho 05-18-2014 04:35 PM

Find a round electrical plug under dash near steering column area.

The next time the cruise does not work, orient plug with row of 4 terminals up facing you. Turn ign switch on, connect two center terminal on lower row having 6 terminals.

Cruise light will flash out any codes stored, one numeral at a time. Codes are two numerals. One codes output, they will repeat.

If no codes, light will flash at steady rate.

Disconnect jumper and turn ign off.

strausbo 05-22-2014 03:40 PM

Cruise Control Does Not Work Sometimes

I discovered this afternoon that the CC problem has to do with the gear shift lever position. When I went to set the CC today, it would not set. I moved the gear shift lever very slightly back (away from the dash) and tried setting the CC. The CC set! While set for 65 MPH, I very slightly moved the gear shift lever toward the dash and the CC released the set speed. I then moved the gear shift lever back very slightly and attempted to set the CC at 65 MPH again. It set as it should. When the gear shift was slightly moved toward the dash, the CC released again. I repeated this again at 60 MPH and had the same results. I've noticed that sometimes (not very often) that I am not fully in gear when I go to accelerate. The engine just revs up. The gear shift indicates it is in the "D" position. If I slightly move the gear shift lever back, the "D" does not change but the trans is now engaged in Drive. Not sure what to think with this? Last time I had the trans fluid flushed at a trans shop, the tech. told me that he did not like how the shifter felt going into Drive.....but I should be ok? Anyone have any experience with this?

toyomoho 05-22-2014 10:53 PM

One of the signals the cruise control receives is if the trans is in drive. If not, it will not engage or disengage.

The trans shifter input shaft on the trans body has a multi-position switch mounted on it. This switch signals if cruise if in "D", P or N plus operates the trans gear indicator lights.

The shifter arm on trans may have too much play, allowing the switch position for "D" to open and turning off the cruise.

If trans shifter feels funny, check adjustment. The trans shifter input shaft has a cam with ball detent on inside of trans. Make sure when the input shaft rotates, it stops at each gear selection. Check shifter in car for excess play.

strausbo 05-24-2014 06:49 AM

Cruise Control Does Not Work Sometimes

Is the switch you refer too the neutral safety switch? I was told the NSS could also be the problem although (knock on wood here) I have never had a difficulty starting the car.

toyomoho 05-24-2014 11:11 AM

The switch is a rotatory design. When the shifter in the car moves, a cable moves the shift lever on trans connected to a rod. The switch is mounted on the rod and the arm on the switch moves with the rod.

The switch has a electrical connection for each gear. It may work OK for P and N but have issues with D.

The cruise not working after moving the shifter indicates the D electrical connection is breaking contact. The only way the cruise system knows the trans is in D is via NSS also called NSS/Range Sensor.

Switch looks like items in link below:

2000 TOYOTA CAMRY Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor

You can try cleaning the switch with electrical contact spray cleaner (don't use WD-40). Some owners have managed to take it apart for cleaning, other sprayed it inside the housing, the drained out the excess.

Or the shifter for some reason has too much free play, the mechanic did state it felt funny.