ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Dead Tach

Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 AM
Default Dead Tach

My wife's 2000 Camry has a dead tach.

I read about a old version having a problem with bad caps, is this true for these??

Can someone tell me what I can do to repair this??

Rich

Old 05-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

See link below:

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor) - Club Lexus Forums

Tach signal comes from ECU via brown/orange wire.

Power for tack is same source as other gauges such as water temp and fuel.

Ground wire same as for speedo, does speedo work?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM

Wow what a Time bomb..

So far the dead tach has been the only problem and as my mother in law has said it had been dead for as long as she has owned the car.

I have had to do the same thing with come PC motherboards and it is NOT a easy job, due to the double sided boards and I AM a life long electronics guy...I even have learned a oven trick to reconnect wayward main PC Chips on these mother boards...

I can see this thread has ran 75 pages, with some revisions I jumped to the end hoping for a final submission...recaping with the latest news...

I find round wood toothpicks work great for opening and keeping open holes in boards not safety pins which it some case can become soldered in as well.

Rich

Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Given your experience this job should be right up your alley.

The tach/ECU issue doesn't come up that frequently for Camry. Thus suggest confirming the tach is not receiving a signal from ECU or doesn't have other issues. It is always possible the previous owner tried to install something and damaged things.

If you have access to an oscilloscope could check for a tach signal from ECU (black/orange wire).

You could also check for proper connections at the tach. The tach receives +12V DC from a power rail connected to a red/blue wiring going to the gauge fuse. The same rail powers the other gauges plus other dash indicator lights. The tach is grounded via the a rail that also ground the fuel gauge via a brown wire.

As I recall, there may be a few caps on the dash console board, but can't remember.

I have done some recapping in older test equipment but this was expected as age related. Wikipedia has a post on bad caps caused by materials problems. I do remember this with Dell Computers. Some hobby electronics groups have lists of what they deem are good, questionable and bad caps manufacturers.

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia