Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Driver door Master Harness Wire Problems (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/driver-door-master-harness-wire-problems-49946/)

hunter4 12-28-2014 08:50 PM

Driver door Master Harness Wire Problems

I have a 1996 camry with some cracked and possibly broken wires on the harness going through the door jamb. A couple of the windows work occasionally. What is the easiest fix getting a new harness which I'm having a problem finding or try to splice the old wires? Thanks for the help.

toyomoho 12-29-2014 01:38 PM

Common problem.

Post back with exact window operation for all doors, such as:

What window controls do not work for both drivers door and individual door switches?

And in which direction (up or down) does the window not work with the above switches?

Once known can determine which wire is bad based on color.

Most people splice the wire or route a replacement. Changing out the harness would be more time consuming and expensive, plus need to locate a harness.

Odds are it is just one bad wire.

hunter4 12-30-2014 10:10 AM

Thanks for getting back so quick. Right now the sever door works the server rear door works 98% of the time the passenger door works 50% of the time when it goes down it sometimes won't go up and the passenger rear door doesn't work at all.

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 88302)
Common problem.

Post back with exact window operation for all doors, such as:

What window controls do not work for both drivers door and individual door switches?

And in which direction (up or down) does the window not work with the above switches?

Once known can determine which wire is bad based on color.

Most people splice the wire or route a replacement. Changing out the harness would be more time consuming and expensive, plus need to locate a harness.

Odds are it is just one bad wire.

toyomoho 12-30-2014 10:57 AM

Server as in drivers door panel switches?

So:

Drivers door panel works drivers side rear door 98% of the time? And then what? Drivers door panel works passenger door 50% of the time to lower but sometimes up doesn't work? Passenger rear window does not work?

When you use the individual window switches is there a difference in window operation?

hunter4 12-31-2014 07:23 AM

Window issue

I apologize my phone incorporated its own word replacement the word "server" is actually the word "driver side" of car I should have noticed the error thanks

Originally Posted by hunter4 (Post 88313)
Thanks for getting back so quick. Right now the sever door works the server rear door works 98% of the time the passenger door works 50% of the time when it goes down it sometimes won't go up and the passenger rear door doesn't work at all.

hunter4 12-31-2014 07:25 AM

Window issue

The individual window buttons do not work

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 88315)
Server as in drivers door panel switches?

So:

Drivers door panel works drivers side rear door 98% of the time? And then what? Drivers door panel works passenger door 50% of the time to lower but sometimes up doesn't work? Passenger rear window does not work?

When you use the individual window switches is there a difference in window operation?

toyomoho 12-31-2014 12:00 PM

Given this many window issues it appears more the one wire may be broken. You are going to need to do some diagnostic work which can be aided by understanding how the windows work.

Each window regulator motor has two wires running to it. By changing the polarity of the 12V DC power, the motor turns one way or the other. This results in window going up or down. The power window motor electrical system do not have a chassis ground for the negative wire.

The drivers door window motor wires connect directly to the drivers switch. The other window motors connect indirectly to the drivers switches. The two wires for each passenger window motor run first to the individual window switch, then to the motor. When a drivers passenger switch is operated, the appropriate window motor operates just like the drivers window via the two wires.

In addition to the two wires above, each passenger individual switch has another wire. This wire also comes from the drivers console but is 12V+ when ign switch is on (as when power windows work).

This wire allows the individual switch to power the passenger motor using this 12V+ power. When the individual switch is moved, the 12v+ power is directed to a motor wire. The switch then directs the return wire (acting as ground wire) to one of the two wires going the drivers console.

When the individual switch is moved in the opposite direction. Power is directed to the opposite motor wire and opposite return wire.

If the individual switches are not working at all, then either the 12v+ wire is broken most likely at the drivers door harness between door and chassis and or all of the other wires that are used as a return wire. Since some windows work using the drivers console some of these return wires must be OK.

You are going to need to determine if the 12V+ wire has power. Then determine which of the other wires are broken.

Wiring is as follows:
12V+ wiring going to all individual switches is blue.

Passengers front window wires are green/white and red/blue going to the individual switch.

Drivers side rear passengers window is green/black and red/black at the individual switch and green/yellow and red/yellow at the drivers console. There are a few wiring boxes in between to allow the wiring color change.

Passengers side rear window is also green/black and red/black at individual switch and the same g/b and r/b colors at drivers switch. No color change.

The color of the wiring going from the individual switches to the motor is green and red for all passenger windows.

+12v to the green wire (or green stripped wires) operates the motor in the window up direction.

Best route is to remove the drivers door panel to access wiring at the switch. Then remove individual switches and check for continuity between ends of wires. Plus check for 12v+ at the blue wire at each individual switch.

hunter4 01-19-2015 02:19 PM

Thanks for the information. I was tied up the last week or so. What would be the easiest way to splice the wires? Cut the wire back far enough to soder in the door panel and at the other end near the plug? Also if I remove the rubber piece what's the best way to seal the door I have moisture in it now. It looks awful cramped in there.

toyomoho 01-20-2015 11:31 AM

Remove door panel and disconnect wiring plugs. Push the boot end of rubber cover between door and chassis, and then harness out of door. Peel back the tape around the harness the pull wires to determine which ones are broken. Pull of boot from chassis to expose wires. Solder wires and replace.