ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

ECU chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Default ECU chips

Ive seen ECU chips being sold on Ebay that claim that they can boost your HP by 70+ as well as give you up to 30% better fuel effeciency. I read the buyer feedback from the people who bought these and almost all of them said these chips didnt do jack ****. Is there any chips out there that will actually do what they claim or are they all bogus? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: ECU chips

Im thinkin the majority of them are bogus.One person even said they had a powerchip that was really just a resistor. It may add a little to your car only because its tricking the computer, but not much. I'd stick with the real mechanical mods for now.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Do not waste your time with the power chips. Real performance chips are not made for our cars for the most part. The scion TC ecu stuff can be made to work on the 2.4L camrys.
Nathan

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

If HP gains could be made in addition to MPG then Toyota would have already done this.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 PM

I think I finally did find something worthwhile, but it costs a bit of green. They say it can show gains of a 25% HP boost. The only downside (beside the cost) is that it actually hurt your MPG, but it has a switch so you can turn it on or off (which is also necessary when you want to pass smog). It goes for $300 on autoanything.com, but I also saw it on ebay for a little over $200. Here is the product description:

Features
The Venom 400 Performance Control Module is custom-programmed to interface with your specific year, make and model vehicle
Infects your engine with a big horsepower boost, increased torque and reduced delays caused by sudden acceleration
During idle and normal city driving, the Venom 400 maintains stock settings that save fuel
The Venom 400 constantly monitors signals from your engine's sensors and springs into action at pre-determined levels
Re-maps your air/fuel ratio curve, sending potent power settings to your ECU for exceptional bite in mid-range driving (between 1,000 and 5,000 rpm on the power band)
Employs an optional in-dash red LED that illuminates when the Venom 400 is engaged
The Venom 400 PCM features a convenient on/off switch for conserving fuel or passing difficult smog checks
Undetectable to emissions tests when switched off
Installation takes half an hour with simple hand tools—just mount the Venom 400 in place and hook-up the 4 electrical connectors
Interfaces with other performance modules that add top-end power to your vehicle
Designed to work directly with your ECU, the Venom 400 won't trigger your check engine light or other internal diagnostics
Besides the module, the Venom 400 comes with all necessary hardware, installation instructions, a wiring diagram and Venom decals
Your Venom 400 Performance Control Module is backed by a 1-year warranty

Description
Sneak some extra bite into your engine in the form of boosted pulling torque and horsepower and reduced delay during sudden acceleration. The Venom 400 Performance Control Module helps your engine break loose with precise programming that monitors signals from your engine and reacts by sending the right punchy fuel map to your ECU for pure power at the pedal.

Working like a charm on manual or automatic vehicles, the Venom Performance Module lays low in idle or normal city driving. When you punch it, the Venom 400 snaps into action for striking power in the mid-range band. And, the Venom 400 has the added feature of a convenient on/off switch that instantly returns stock settings—ideal for saving gas or passing a smog check.

Installation is a simple half-hour job using hand tools. Just mount the Venom 400 in place, connect the 4 electrical wires and you’re ready to rock. Best yet, your Venom 400 Performance Control Module carries a 1-year warranty.

Notes
The big power increase provided by the Venom 400 Performance Control Module may result in a fuel economy reduction of 1-3 mpg.
Flex Fuel Vehicles: fueling with E85 is not recommended in conjunction with your Venom unit. Burning E85 reduces efficiency and power compared to using gas, which nullifies the effect of Venom's programming.

Im not for taking anything at face value, so I read all of the customer reviews on it and they all seemed to really notice a big difference.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5465/21C402E6377D4A6ABB4A429BCFEDB194.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 PM

That is not priced too much the cost is a lot less than other remapping units like cobb

Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

There are modules that can piggy back onto the existing computer or replace it. These can be programmed by the operator and typically used for engines that have been modified with turbos, racing applications, engine upgrades, etc.

Keep in mind you are working with an engine that already has been optimized for MPG, emissions and performance. Without replacing parts the gains just may not be there regardless of how you program the computer.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 AM

After further reading I discovered that the Venom 400 PCM wouldnt do my car any good anyways because its an automatic transmission. On a manual setup, the box will activate once the engine has reached its peak performance level, giving it a 25% boost in hp. But with an automatic, if your reaching limit and the box activates, your car will actually downshift (for about three seconds too). So, if you have a manual tranny, then its a good investment, but if not, leave it alone.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 AM

Yea for an auto, I'd recommend going to advance or whatever store you have, depending on the store they should have a plate kit that you can have installed into your transmission. Also something I've been thinking about if I can find a place to do it. Tranny is one thing I wont mess with [sm=sorry.gif]

Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM

yeah, I dont think I'll be going there either

Quick Reply: ECU chips