ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Electrical Problem in 2000 ce 4cyl- 100 Amp fuse melting. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Default Electrical Problem in 2000 ce 4cyl- 100 Amp fuse melting. Please Help

Hey there everyone. I'm a new member here and first I wanted to say thanks for such great info on the forums, I've been a long time reader. I own a 2000 Camry Ce, and about 2 weeks ago I first noticed the little battery icon on the dash flickering on and off along with the dash illumination. I checked the fuses and saw that the 100 Amp fuse which controls everything from the gauges to the climate control, taillights etc, had melted. I didn't know what to make of it so i just replaced it with a new one and it was fine for about a week but now the same thing is happening again. As soon as I saw the lights flickering again today, i immediately pulled over and as soon as I lifted the hood I could see smoke coming from the fuse box. I pulled out the same 100 Amp fuse and drove home with no heat, gauges or anything electronic lol.

Obviously it's not safe to drive the car like this with no brake lights or even knowing how fast i'm going and I don't want or intend to, I'm just a bit short on funds at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong and approx how much it might cost to be fixed... I've been told by a friend that it is most likely a short in the electrical system...Another note that may help is that although the fuse and the input where it connects into the fuse box melted, the input isn't so badly melted that new fuse wouldn't fit. I just wanted to add that in case maybe that way i wouldn't have to replace the whole fuse block. I just didn't want to put another new fuse in there without solving the problem first because I fear if it melts anymore the input where the fuse goes may melt beyond repair and cause other worse damage. Sorry if any of this is really stupid, I'm just not very good at all with electronics and am more of a motorcycle guy. thanks alot for any and all help guys! And again great to be a new member here!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

The fuse box melting is not good.

After this fuse the circuit branches out, most of these branches have their own much lower amp fuses. If there was a short down the line one of these fuses would blow before the the 100 amp.

Still, check all the other fuses for blown or heat damage. There are several fuse boxes in the engine compartment plus one behind the drivers side ash tray on the dash.

The item that does not have a fuse is the alternator, check around the alternator for damaged wiring, etc. Sometimes the alternator can have an internal short.