ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Electronic Mirror/Electric Window does not work

Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Default Electronic Mirror/Electric Window does not work

I have a 1994 Camry LE, 6 cyl. Someone hit my car on the passenger side, bent the front fender and riipped most of the mirror off. I'm not so worried about the mirror yet because I can probably pick one of at a wrecking yard and I think in Oregon as long as I have my rear view mirror and my driver's side side mirror, I'm legal.l

How do I get the passenger side door panel off without destroying it? the bottom is now loose, but there must be a hidden clip somwhere that is still holding it on. I don't want to destroy the door panel. Two people have taken off parts and pulled on the panel but it won't come off and now I'm seeing tears in the door panel.

For a temporary fix, besides seran wrap, what else can I use to keep the rain out?

Any ideas how to get the panel off? Haynes manual is of no help.
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Update: My housemate just now got the panel off. And he got the window in the UP position. So that's where it still stay until we can figure out how to get it to operate up and down properly. It appears the window is off the track and maybe bent. I guess a body shop?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Another update: Went to a glass auto shop and the motor checked out ok. What I was told that there are two little clips (brackets) on the bottom of the glass that are loose and not attached and will need to be re-glued and the tech sugges Urethane glue. Does anyone know the exact brand or name or this stuff? Or shall we just go into an auto store and say what we are trying to do and go by their suggestions? I would appreciate a reply. I usually get good responses here. Even if you say you don't know would be great, but I don't know if you are low on volunteers here or other members that do not want to reply. I don't want to pay the glass shop $75 just to re-glue those brackets. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

There are all types of glues, urethane is one type. It will be sold under many brand names, in one or two part packages and having differant consistances such as thick or thin.

A two part package mixes two chemical together when applied, the result is a faster cure time.

A one part urethane adhesive such as construction may take days to cure.

Urethane adhesives remain flexible which is what you want.

The glues can be costly or relatively cheap depending on the what the product is.

If you can wait for curing might use PL preminum polyurethane construction adhesive that comes in a big tube like house caulking. It is cheap at around $6, very thick, remains flexible. Cure time can be up to 7 days depending on temp and humidity.

3M makes 2 part adhesive that cures in 20 minutes but costs around $25.

Do an iternet search on urethane glue and review the brands offered. Then call a well stocked hardware or department store and ask if they carry the brand.

Might also call a home window glass shop and ask what they use. Perhaps for a few dollars they will glue the parts onto the window.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Thank you Joey for your reply! Will be looking into this today and will report back.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM

My housemate is out there trying to remove one of the brackets. It appears that there is a rivet attached to the regulator and it's not coming off very easlly. Tried pliars and a little hack saw. Any other ideas to get that thing off so we clean off the bracket and get that new glue on?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

If riveted can you drill the rivet out, then find a replacement rivet or something that works at a hardware store.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM

He grinded off the rivet and now he has put back on the bracket with new glue (it's really dark, sticky stuff) . He wants to make sure that glue holds good before we put the panel back on. Thanks !

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks for posting back.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Housemate is now out there to test to see if the glu works, but now the motor won't work. It worked only two days ago! Where is the fuse for the motor on this thing? The power locks work, but think that is a separate motor? I used both passenger side and driver's side buttons, but not even a click when attempting to roll down the passenger side window. Certaintly putting on glue would not have damaged the motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Mirror/Electric Window does not work