ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

‘98 Camry XLE Doors are unlocked, but CAN’T OPEN!

Old 04-09-2022, 08:01 PM
Default ‘98 Camry XLE Doors are unlocked, but CAN’T OPEN!

Hello All!
Saturday 4/09/22
I posted last year about my front passenger door that could only be opened from the outside, even though, the inside door latch/switch is in the open position. The consensus was that I would need to get electrical service, after asking if there was something that I could myself, to free it mechanism, and to save money. It’s still not operable.

Fast forward today. I have an alarm, but sometimes I key the doors locked, no alarm. Well, I usually look to see my red flashing alarm armed, if I used the remote, but today, I didn’t see any light flashing, so I used my key to open, and the ALARM WENT OFF.

I unlocked all doors from Drivers side armrest button, I heard the locks unlock, I saw the red/orange door button on, but after going outside, I tried the back door (drivers side) and now this door will not open.
Will unhooking the battery and reconnecting it, somehow reset something, that would allow doors to open again? (But that would be too easy)

I thought my first problem was my front passengers door, hoping it’s independent, from the other three doors.
Or like a main accentuater, which controls all door locks.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what was the problem, (parts) and how much did it cost? If it needs electrical work, can anyone direct me to a place you trust, BESIDES THE DEALER?
Thank You!
UPDATE:

Hi!
Today, a day later,
…Yes, I did make sure the child-lock was in the open position.

What’s happening today is, after clicking my alarm to UNLOCK CAR, the Drivers side door has always been in the OPEN position, until I start the car, then all doors auto-lock.
But today, when I got out of the drivers door, instead of the driver’s door remaining open, it immediately locked itself, which has never done, before now.
I replaced the remote (button) battery, maybe 4, or 5, months ago, but it is possible the battery might need replacing?
The alarm is an after market Clifford.
I cringe, every time I try to use the alarm, to lock it, because the switch keeps unlocking and re-locking the door by itself, and if I use the key, then the Alarm goes off.
This is very unnerving.

Umm, first my front passenger door, would unlock on the inside, but I physically need to open it from the outside, and now my back passenger door behind the driver is doing the same thing!

Last edited by camryjimmy98; 04-10-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Each door has its own electric solenoid lock actuator. The cars electronic setup allows independent door lock operation, drivers switch operation and key FOB if available. The door lock wiring routes through a electrical box to accomplish this.

The alarm system and door lock system are different systems. The alarm system can not operate the door locks. If the alarm is going off this is an alarm problem.

Is the rear door lock button or whatever showing that the door is unlocked but you still can't open it from inside or outside? If so then the problem is with that doors mechanical system inside that door.

Is the door set to the child lockout mode where it can't be opened from inside?