Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   how to disable seat belt light? 02 CAMRY (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/how-disable-seat-belt-light-02-camry-49569/)

nkm9222 07-03-2014 12:16 AM

how to disable seat belt light? 02 CAMRY

Before you tell me to just wear my seat belt, it's a personal preference. I usually do but when I don't that blinking red light is annoying. Not as annoying as newer cars with the beeping noise too, I'd go crazy.

But I drive an 02 camry and I'd like to know if there's a way to turn off the seat belt light so if anybody knows please share.

I tried something I read for newer camrys where you hold in the trip button. That wasn't working but maybe I wasn't doing something right

Patonium 07-03-2014 12:27 AM

On eBay they sell these clips that you insert into the buckle. They look like the seat belt insert but that is all. They appear to just clip in to the buckle. I suppose you could go to a junk yard and find the insert part and just cut it from the donor's belt and put it into the buckle part.
I, in no way, am a proponent of the use of any of these methods. I believe that you should always wear your seat belt. End legal disclaimer. :)

nkm9222 07-03-2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium (Post 86625)
On eBay they sell these clips that you insert into the buckle. They look like the seat belt insert but that is all. They appear to just clip in to the buckle. I suppose you could go to a junk yard and find the insert part and just cut it from the donor's belt and put it into the buckle part.
I, in no way, am a proponent of the use of any of these methods. I believe that you should always wear your seat belt. End legal disclaimer. :)

Right. I suppose that would work. Kind of in the way when I do decide to wear my seat belt lol isn't it just something simple like unplugging a cord or fuse? Or by doing something funky with the trip button? Idk

toyomoho 07-03-2014 10:59 AM

From a technical standpoint, the seat belt system is wired into the airbag system. The airbag system also includes a seat detector to tell the airbag computer if someone is sitting in the drivers seat. In my opinion, trying to defeat this system would be complicated and risky as not sure how this would affect the airbag system. I do not recommend tampering with the seat belt system!

No fastened seat belt or possible working airbag because the belt system was tampered with could result in major injuries or death in accident.

Another issue is loss of vehicle control. The belt is there to keep people in the seat and near the steering wheel during times of sudden chassis movements.

For legal reasons Toyota would never offer a seat belt disable method. On some cars they do offer an airbag off system for pregnant women but its the dealers option to enable this not and many will not for liability reasons.

I realize some people don't use seat belts as have driven with them in their car (yaks). In my car all wear seat belts. It it is a personal preference but in no way do I condone not wearing a seat belt.

Patonium 07-04-2014 12:36 AM

I would not unplug anything in regards to the seat belt system as Joey has stated. If you want the risk, then the insert is the option. The systems and electronics on these cars is too much to be messing around with.
Again, (legal jargon) you should wear your seat belt and in no way am I saying otherwise.