ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

i thought it was just a blown fuse but...

Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Default i thought it was just a blown fuse but...

so a week ago, i had my 96 camry LE running in the driveway, and i plugged an ipod and celll phone charger into the ciggarette lighter with a little adapter that lets you use two thing in the lighter instead of one, well only one side would workat a time, then after a few minutes of being plugged in, i heard a small snap, and the radio clock and lighter died, i assumed that it had to be a fuse, but all of my fuses underneath the dash and in the fender are working, i even switched some out for brand new ones. so i was wondering, if there were any other fuses that i need to find and check, or what else this could be. just the clock radio and lighter are out so i assume that this wouldnt be a relay problem because more stuff wouldnt be working
whaddyou guys think
oh and i am broke and laid off so i cant really afford a mechanic so any help would be awesome
thanks!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: i thought it was just a blown fuse but...

you could have caused your self a major wiring issue here. there is one fuse in the back of the radio try that one

Old 08-24-2006, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: lavalleemike

you could have caused your self a major wiring issue here. there is one fuse in the back of the radio try that one

But is the fuse in the back of the radio wired into the lighter??

Old 08-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

no its not but, they all run on the same circuit according to the wiring diagram. He proabaly over loaded it and acred the fuse which caused the wire to burn. take the dash apart and check all the wires. is the first step if its a broken or burnt with you can usually find it. no funny smells or anything when this happened.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Just joined forum. I have a problem with Clock, cig adaptor, AND mirrors all inop. I change fuse and it blows immediatly. All started with wife charging phone. At first, clock woould work for a week or so. Now blows as soon as fuse is installed. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM

above msg is for a 99 Camry. Thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

you have a wiring issue that is not going to be easily found. It seems to me that automotive cell phone chargers are causing more problems than there worth.