Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Navagation Issues (2018 Camry) (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/navagation-issues-2018-camry-52586/)

billt 11-17-2018 10:55 AM

Navagation Issues (2018 Camry)

After we bought our new 2018 Camry last March, I took it back to the dealer, along with our 2 Motorola Android Smart Phones. They set up the navigation for me with both phones. They loaded both the Toyota Entune 3.0 app. As well as the Scout Navigation app. He told me in order for the turn by turn navigation to work, I would have to plug the phone into the USB port on the dash. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a cable, hooked it up, and the navigation worked fine.

Now I can't get it to work no matter what I do. My phone shows both the Entune 3.0 app. and the Scout Navigation app to be up and running. But I can't get anything navigation wise to come up on the screen. Before I didn't have to do anything. As soon as I plugged the phone into the dashboard USB port, it just popped right up.

The navigation in this Toyota is terrible in my opinion. You shouldn't have to require a phone for it to work properly. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is a 2015, (3 years older), and the navigation comes up instantly as soon as you start the vehicle. Does Toyota put this same crappy navigation system in their $80K Land Cruisers? If they did I would be furious. This whole system is the most user unfriendly POS I've ever encountered. And from what I've been reading on the Internet, I'm not the only one complaining about it.

Does anyone else know how to make this thing operate properly? As I said it worked once, so I know everything is installed correctly. I just didn't think it took a Moon shot to get it to work.

toyomoho 11-18-2018 10:36 AM

Is there a Bluetooth option somewhere?

billt 11-18-2018 11:04 AM

OK. Success, finally! As it turned out there were 2 updates that I did not know were available. I found them by poking around on the apps screen. (They did not simply pop up on the home page when the car was started). I downloaded both. I then connected the phone to the USB port while the screen on the dash was set to the apps page. (Both the Entune 3.0 and Scout GPS app were up and running on the phone when I plugged it into the USB Port).

Right away I noticed the apps screen was in color instead of grey and white. I then pressed the Scout GPS app. on the car screen. I then got a notice on the screen on my phone saying that depending on what plan I have, I might incur an additional charge, blah, blah. I pressed "OK" on the phone screen, and the color navigation screen popped up showing my location. I went for a ride and everything was moving and working correctly.

This all could have been easily avoided if the screen would have simply prompted me to download both updates when they became available. Instead of having me have to hunt for them, and finding them purely by accident. Again, not the most user friendly system. But at least now it's working correctly. From now on as soon as I start having any issues, the first thing I'll check for are any available updates.

toyomoho 11-20-2018 05:51 PM

Great post, thanks!

The Toyota system is NOT the most user friendly!