Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Possible ECU Swap (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/possible-ecu-swap-50367/)

Lemon07 06-15-2015 07:01 PM

Possible ECU Swap

I'm having intermittent issues with my 2007 Camry LE 4cyl automatic. The abs and brake lights come on, then speedo goes dead and at times the tach goes dead and then AC compressor goes off and on in sync with the tach dieing, then coming back on. I've narrowed it down to the connection where the harness plugs into the ECU. I've temporarily fixed it by wedging a piece of plastic in between the ecu and plug but still have the problem occasionally. Toyota recommends I replace the ECU ABS unit. I'm considering alternatives to a new unit by looking in the junkyards. I've seen someone on YouTube replace just the ECU portion of the unit, leaving the ABS pump portion in place by unbolting the 4 screws off of the front of the ECU. The part number in question is 44050-06070 and works for 07-10 LE, SE, and XLE Camrys with 4cyl and 6 cyl motors according to some listings on some internet parts sites. My question is can I simply find a Camry in this year range, model, motor and swap out my ECU only? Are there other options on the donor car to consider such as transmission, electric windows, etc. Or.. does the ECU need to flashed to match my specific car? If I do a swap, Id rather not mess with the ABS system. I've heard I probably need some special machine to bleed the brakes for this car.

toyomoho 06-15-2015 11:16 PM

Toyota has no break down of the part into ECU and actuator thus don't know if the ECU only can be swapped. The part appears only sold as a unit and is extremely expensive!

See link for year fit. Note, Toyota used Bosch in US built and Advics in Japan built. You need to check your cars model number such as ACV40 or GSV40.

ACTUATOR ASSY, BRAKE made by Toyota. #4405006070

The other thread you posted to has what may be a solution if you are handy with repairing electrical items.

Lemon07 06-18-2015 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply toyomoho! I'm not sure where to look for the model number but I do see that the current ECU in my car is a Bosch unit. I know the part comes as a complete unit. Do you know if you have to have the part flashed to exactly match the car or can it simply be that part number from whatever car. In this case 07-10 LE, SE, XLE Camry's with the same Bosch brand unit? I'm thinking of looking in the junk yard since the part is so expensive. I've seen it range from 1100 to 2100 dollars at Toyota dealers online. Of course my local Toyota is the one that wants 2100 for the unit. Do you know if a special machine is needed to bleed the brakes after replacing this unit?

toyomoho 06-18-2015 11:30 PM

Even junk yard parts are over $1K.

The part should be a remove and replace with no programming required.

Toyota uses there electronic diagnostic tool via the OBDII port to work the ABS valves for bleeding. Not sure if there is a work around for some kind of electronic tool.

Have you read through the posts on taking the ECU cover off and doing the repair as suggested?

Lemon07 06-22-2015 08:47 PM

Until I find another part, I a bit nervous ripping apart the ECU that's in the car. I still think it has something to do with the connection since simply moving the harness plug around where it connects to the ECU makes it better or worse. Maybe if I had another ECU, I could try it to see if the connection would be better. By the way, I tried dielectric grease at the connection. It seemed to make it a bit better for a day or to, but it's back to acting crazy again. The only thing that helps right now is wedging a new piece of plastic between the ECU and harness plug every week. That's not going to last forever, so I'm looking to try a used ECU. I'll check with the local Crazy Rays (pick your own part junkyard) to see what they would charge for one.

toyomoho 06-22-2015 10:04 PM

Might try Craigslist for private owners parting out a car. Their price may be more reasonable.

The repair thread was about a connection issue. Perhaps you know someone in hobby electronics who can do the repair.

Lemon07 06-23-2015 06:07 PM

Not seeing much on Craigslist. I'll keep looking though. Thanks! Will let you know what I'm able to find out.