Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Rear passenger window does not work (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/rear-passenger-window-does-not-work-47717/)

bob213 09-13-2013 11:58 AM

Rear passenger window does not work

2003 Camry 6 cyl. Neither the drivers switch nor the rear rt. passenger switch will move the window. Are these switches separate from each other or connected? No motor noise when either switch is used. Ideas...Help please. Thanks, Bob

toyomoho 09-13-2013 04:55 PM

The switches are interconnected to a point.

The drivers switch has 2 wires going to the passenger switch then to the motor. The drivers switch changes 12v DC voltage polarity to the motor wires and as such direction of rotation.

The passengers switch has a separate 12v + power wire going to it. When the passenger switch is operated power is directed from this wire to one of the motor wires based on direction of switch. Return power is routed to one of 2 wires coming from the drivers switch.

If the passenger switch is moved to the opposite position, power is routed to the other motor wire then returns by the opposite wire of the 2 wires.

The passenger switch selects which wires connect to the motor.

If the motor does not work could be a bad motor or the wiring has broken.

If you can access back of the passenger switch you can access the power wires to the motor and power them by 12v to determine if it works (green/red wires). If OK, check wiring.

The constant 12v power wire is violet. This wire should be powered when the cars power window system is powered.

The 2 wires from the drivers switch are green/black and red black. Connect a voltmeter between the wires. The drivers switch will direct 12v +/- power to the wires based on direction of switch. If no power the wiring is bad, typically were it goes between the drivers door and chassis due to flexing with door use.

bob213 09-14-2013 08:59 PM

Thanks Joey. I have to admit that I am ignorant of how these things work. Can't really afford to take it to the shop so here's my question. Can I just pop the control button assembly off of the door handle or is there a certain way to remove it?
Thanks, Bob

toyomoho 09-15-2013 11:46 AM

The switch panel would most likely be held in place by a retractable plastic tab at the front or back and a plastic tab at the other end.

Find a thin blade and cover with tape to protect the plastic finish. Insert between rear (or front as required) switch panel to push the tab back. Once the tab is retracted by the blade that side of the switch can be pulled up and the other end pulled out.

Something like in the link below for shown the drivers side controls.

How To Remove Car Door Panels On A 2000 Toyota Camry - 1997 To 2001