Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Red SRS Dash Light Stays Lit (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/red-srs-dash-light-stays-lit-52790/)

newcam 04-12-2019 03:24 PM

Red SRS Dash Light Stays Lit

Greetings, I purchased a 2004 Camry today without realizing the red SRS light on the dash should turn off after ignition. So looks like I own this problem. Anyone have experience w/a potential fix and/or cost? My safety and emissions inspection is scheduled tor Tues morning so not even sure if it will pass...thank you in advance for any help.

toyomoho 04-12-2019 05:32 PM

Suggest calling or going to your states safety and emissions inspection site on the internet to find out what the inspection consists of. The SRS issue should not prevent passing a smog test but it could prevent passing a safety inspection test.

Given you purchased the car with the SRS light on the problem could be minor or major. Major as in some owners have found out the airbags were removed from the car prior to being sold.

You will need to have the SRS codes read out using the cars OBDII system. Not all scanners are capable of this and may need a scanner that can read Toyota codes. Once you have the codes you can get an idea of the repairs needed and their cost.

newcam 04-12-2019 09:43 PM

Geez looks like my reply to Joey over an hour ago did not post. The gist of it was my mechanic wants to run the codes (as you recommended) tomorrow morning. His other ideas are to check the yellow wiring connectors under the front car seat to see if corroded, to check out the SRS Control Module under the center console, and to pay $50 to a shop for a "Reset and Clear of crash data" of the SRS system.

We had not considered that the airbag may have deployed and could be missing. It's possible since the seller's uncle did a DIY front bumper cover and front quarter panel replacement after having an accident.

Mechanic told me my state (MO) will not pass the car w/the airbag light on.

toyomoho 04-12-2019 11:05 PM

There are two airbag deployment sensors in the front of the car. One below the area of each headlight attached to rail of chassis. If someone was doing body work in these areas they may have damaged the sensor by beating the area with a hammer or disconnected the wiring to the sensor.

The SRS computer tests the airbag system with each ign key ON cycle. If the SRS is reset but the problem not fixed, it may just trigger the light again.

The trouble codes are very specific as to what the problem area is. Find out what side of the car body was fixed and determine if any codes match the sensor in that area.

newcam 04-13-2019 11:16 AM

Just got the code! B1-900

Joey we just got the B1900 code w/an Autolink 619 scanner. Description is: Short in p-t squib Right Hand Circuit. Can you direct us from here? We're not sure if "right hand" means up at the front bumper under the headlight or right hand side of the center console SRS Control Module or right hand side under the passenger seat? Thanks again.

newcam 04-13-2019 11:27 AM

Another puzzling thing is when we google B1-900 it keeps coming up as "Driver's Side" rather than Passenger Side. I searched both "short in p-t squib" and "B1900" in the forum search box but did not see any useful results.

toyomoho 04-13-2019 12:36 PM

There should be an actual code with the code explanation and example being B0130/63. The B0130 being the newer code and 63 the older code for the same thing.

P-T is the seat belt pretensioner. When the SRS is triggered the pretensioner takes the slack out of the seat beat.

All airbag system wiring runs to a central console unit typically located under the center console trim between front seats. The wiring is typically yellow to stand out.

The code states there is short between the 2 wires (negative and positive) of the squib (fires the airbag), its wiring or an issue with the SRS center console unit the airbag squib connects to.

LH and RH orient to sitting in the seat and facing forward.

Note if the SRS wiring was disconnected and the ign key turned on, the SRS system will run a self check and fail. The result will be the SRS light coming on. The light will not go out until the SRS system is manually reset.

newcam 04-13-2019 07:38 PM

Ok so then the B1900 code that we retrieved from the AL619 Scanner is not the one we want to identify the problem? The only other code we could see on the scanner was either an l1 or an L1 or maybe a pipe symbol and a one ( 1).

And here's an update after working on the SRS warning light all day w/my mechanic. The location of the accident was the front bumper and Right front quarter panel. So we figured go after the sensor below the Right front headlight (basically your body work/hammering theory). Replaced it w/one from the salvage yard. After reset the SRS light returned to steady red.

Next we pulled right front passenger seat and unplugged six yellow connectors (they all looked healthy) and then plugged them back in. After reset, SRS warning light returned. We went to the passenger seat because the code description was "right hand circuit".

Finally, we pulled the SRS Control Module from under the center console and plan to ship it to one of these companies online that does a Toyota SRS Airbag Module Reset of Crash Data for around 50 bucks (unless you know of any local chains/companies that could do the reset?).

As for front seat belt pretensioners all the front belts pull out and retract well-no obvious issues that we can observe. So that's kind of on the back burner for now.

Last resort would be to try to replace the airbag/airbags.

So are we on the right track to focus on the Right Hand side of the car ? Do we need a better scanner? Thanks so much again!!

newcam 04-14-2019 08:44 AM

Here's an example of an SRS Airbag Module Reset company: https://www.safetyrestore.com/airbag...ule-reset.html
Under "What Codes do you Erase" they even mention the scanner we used to get the B1900 code. They also say a Toyota dealer will not perform this service which concerns me. Wanted to ask is the reset a safe and legitimate procedure ?

toyomoho 04-14-2019 12:12 PM

I stand corrected on this code.

Your code is the Driver's Side Pretensioner. See link below:

https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%...em/0430032.pdf

Did an airbag trigger? It's an all or nothing system. The airbag system crash sensors have a small pellet that shifts position on sudden impact. This pellet when shifted completes an electrical circuit to trigger the appropriate restraint systems. If no pellet shifting, then the SRS would not have been triggered.

Right and left can be arbitrary and perhaps why Toyota uses driver or passenger side for clarity.

I am not sure you need a reset per a third party if the SRS was never activated. You do need to manually reset the SRS system with a scanner as it doesn't reset on its own even if the problem is fixed.

My understanding of this SRS system is when in a crash that triggered the SRS system, the impact sensors triggered need to be replaced as they don't reset. If the center airbag sensor assembly activated it needs to be replaced.

Read up on the code at the link provided above.

If code B1900 then suggest limiting the search to that stated by the code. Run the tests in the info provided. If the SRS never activated then nothing should need to be fixed other then the problem area specified by the code. Then the system needs to be manually reset via a scanner than can reset the SRS system on this car as it does not reset on its own even if the problem if fixed. Not all scanners can reset a SRS..