Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder cause ECU to fail? 2001 V6 XLE Camry (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/replacing-ignition-lock-cylinder-cause-ecu-fail-2001-v6-xle-camry-51780/)

jledford 08-28-2017 06:21 PM

Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder cause ECU to fail? 2001 V6 XLE Camry

Ok so here's the scoop:

I recently bought a 2001 Camry XLE V6 for 1500$. Everything seemed solid. Engine ran smooth, the transmission was good, AC was cold. Only annoying thing about it was that sometimes it took some time to start because the lock cylinder would stick.

So, I attempted to replace it, which seemed simple enough. The only hiccup was that the transponder coil was too big for the lock cylinder. At the time I thought the coil was just plastic, so I broke it to fit the new cylinder. After putting everything back together, it wouldn't start and the security light was flashing.

I then messed with it for a while to see if I could reset the immobilizer to no avail. Frustrated, I towed it to a toyota dealer to see exactly what the problem was. They recommended that ECU be reflashed by a locksmith. The locksmith saw that the transponder coil was broken said that once that was fixed, the reflash should make the car be able to start.

So I replaced the coil and had it reflashed for 450$, which still didn't work. More recently the Toyota dealer looked over it again and said there was a blown fuse on the ECU. They said they replaced it and it still wouldn't work. At this point they want to replace the whole ECU for 1500$! How is it possible that removing a part like the lock cylinder would cause a ECU to completely fail and need to be replaced? Is the dealer circling the issue or what? Any info or help is greatly appreciated. If you need more information from me let me know.

toyomoho 08-29-2017 03:51 PM

The transponder coil at the ign key cylinder is supposed to be separate from the key transponder amplifier it connects to.

The coil has no memory and easily replaced.

The amplifier stores the code and communicates with the engine ECU.

Something set the security light flashing.

A competent locksmith should be able to reflash the transponder
amplifier. Who reset the amplifier? Was the existing key(s) then programmed to the amplifier?

Did the dealer find any other blown fuses?

The 2001 Camry engine ECU is not supposed to be able to be reprogrammable/flashed.

If needing a replacement shop Ebay or auto salvage yards for a used part.

The ECU has a part number on it such as the example 89666-33160.

Obtain an ECU having the EXECT same number as the one on your cars computer. Cost can be as low as $16 to around $50.

jledford 08-29-2017 04:04 PM

I talked to a few mechanics and they said it could be a January model or something so its technically a 2001 but still has the transponder. I had Pop a Lock reflash the existing ECU for 400$. After the reflash they were unable to program the keys even though he said it was "successful"(no clue what the heck that means). I checked and I can get a used ECU for 25$ and Pop a Lock said they can reflash for 200$. Its a crappy deal but if its guaranteed to work I may go ahead with it. Thoughts?

jledford 08-29-2017 04:05 PM

Dealer said there was only one blown fuse.

toyomoho 08-29-2017 04:34 PM

Is there no recourse at the Pop a Lock on they stating the programming was successful but it was not. Perhaps having a replacement key cut then programmed may be successful. The keys are cheap, the programming less so.

$200 is reasonable for this work. $400 is high and more so if not successful.

jledford 08-29-2017 04:37 PM

When they reflashed it they said it needed 2 more keys to work (I only had 1 original key).

toyomoho 08-29-2017 04:50 PM

There are valet keys and master keys. The master key is needed to do anything.

Don't know why one would need 2 master keys. The original car came with 2 but only 1 is needed to anything.

There is something to having the ECU being limited to say being programmed for 3 keys max.

You might post atToyotanation where there maybe a Toyota Tech that can explain why the locksmith was unable to complete their task.

jledford 08-29-2017 04:51 PM

Thanks Ill give it a go

jledford 08-29-2017 06:11 PM

Do you think a ECU on a 1998 camry xle v6 would work with the car? It doesnt have the security immobilzer like mine has but since most 2001 camrys dont it seems like it might work. If it could i wouldnt have to program the key at all.

toyomoho 08-29-2017 11:44 PM

If the engine ECU, it needs to be the same part number or listed as replacing the part number.

These units are very specific to year(s), engine, emissions (federal or California), trans type, traction control, anti-theft, etc.

There might be a Toyota dealer parts website that will check your VIN to list applicable parts. Look for "ECM".

Or check the ECM in your car for the part number. Its printed in good sized letters on a sticker on the case.