Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Speedometer off by 10mph, what could it be? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/speedometer-off-10mph-what-could-4114/)

jaybur_racing 07-14-2008 09:31 PM

Speedometer off by 10mph, what could it be?

I want to start off by saying, that I have a 1994 camry DX 5 speed, and its STOCK. the tires are the correct size, and I tried a different speed sensor and it did not change it a bit.

its around 6mph off around town, but the faster you go, the further it is off.

the odometer is also off by about a tenth of a mile every mile, so every ten miles I go, the odometer records 11 miles (nice way to rack up miles you didn't even drive!)

any ideas on what I should try next? I have had no luck searching online, so I take it that this is not a common problem.

toyomoho 07-15-2008 01:48 PM

RE: Speedometer off by 10mph, what could it be?

Is the trans the original?

trd_camry 07-15-2008 01:58 PM

No speedometer is 100% accurate, and the faster you go, the less accurate it is. How do you assume it is off by 10mph ? I mean how did you gauge this ? The 10th of a mile is a lot easier to gauge with accuracy than exact speed. Yeah this isn't a common problem =/ . When did you notice this issue ? How long have you owned the car ?

trd_camry 07-15-2008 02:00 PM

Yeah, gearing is a strong possibility. Getting more info on the car will help a bunch .

jaybur_racing 07-15-2008 08:25 PM

I used a gps to measure the mph

jaybur_racing 07-15-2008 08:32 PM

thanks to the issues with the forum, my 4 paragraph reply was erased before it even got a chance to get posted

jaybur_racing 07-15-2008 08:47 PM

how do I tell if the transmission has been replaced? is there a serial number to look for? and if it is different would I need an ecu to match that? From what I have seen, the ecu is 1 unit, controls the engine and trans.

any help would be appreciated, I had more but the site is acting up on me, so I will keep it shorter, I am sick of typing!

trd_camry 07-16-2008 10:41 AM

Yeah, that is a pretty accurate way. How long have you owned the car ? It seems to be something to do with the tranny/gearing because it's both the speedometer and odometer . What wheel and tire size do you have ?

toyomoho 07-16-2008 11:06 AM

There serial number may be near the starter. It might give the year as a number and month as a letter, compare to your cars year.

jaybur_racing 07-16-2008 02:14 PM

the tires are the stock size, I compared the size to the size it shows on the glove box lid and they are the same.

I have owned the car for 2 months, and its been like this since I bought it. the previous owner had a timing belt done, but really no other info on any other repairs.

so my car is a stock 1994 camry DX coupe 5 speed.

HERE IS THE transmission numbers I found near the starter.

hopefully someone can decipher this and shed some light on if the tranny is to blame, or the computer itself may be malfunctioning

hope that tells you something that is helpful!