ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

SRS Warning light ( Airbag / belt ) SE V6 2002 110KMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Default SRS Warning light ( Airbag / belt ) SE V6 2002 110KMI

The light started flashing after wife used my car for one day. She claims she didn't spill/hit anything. Manual says "see dealer as soon as possible". Manual also says "do not disconnect your battery cables before contacting your toyota dealer"

A few weeks agoI cleaned the air conditionditioning filter (removed and vacuumed) and replaced the license plate light bulbs, which according to the manual should have been replaced by toyota dealer ("do not try to replace licence plate light bulbs yourself. You may damage the vechicle")

I must admit, I just read the carmanual for the first time..............

So, yestarday I disconnectedthe negative cable from the battery for a minute or two. Didn't help.
I disconnected it again for a coule of hours. When connected it back, the tachometer arrow was pointing to 7-8 and speedometer arrow was pointing to 75-80mph. I figured, the car computer must gotten reset. Put the key in the ignition, started the car - the SRS light is still flashing. Took car for a ride - car started having severe stalling problems. Fixed the stalling problems by driving the car for about 45 minutes(or maybe just got lucky - https://www.camryforums.com/m_18217/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#18478)

Questions
[ol][*]what could be the problem with the SRS Warning light? Dealer wants $100 for diagnostics. I can probably get it done at the local shop for under $50. However, sicne I don't have a mechanic I can fully trust (never needed one, had accord before camry) I'd like to have an idea of what has gone wrong.[*]If I keep driving with flashing light, will the airbag(s) deploy if I get involved in an accident?[*]Is there a fuse, which might need to be replaced? If so, where is the fuse and what else I need to do other then replace it?[*]Could it have something to do with the airconditioning filter I cleaned or the license plate bulbs I replaced (I did these two things weeks before the srs light started flashing. Plus, I did this on 2 camrys I own (2nd one is 2003 v4), but the 2nd one doens't have any issues yet). I changed bulbs 2-3 weeks ago, but I only drove the car 5-10 times since, for total of about 50 miles ifnot less.[*]Could the low outside temperature (below freezing) have triggered something?[/ol]
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Default RE: SRS Warning light ( Airbag / belt ) SE V6 2002 110KMI

1. need a diag code to be able to help you out. I also think there was a recall on a seat belt buckle, you may want to look into it.
2. no
3.no
4.no
5.no

Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM

The problem with blinking light is on and off lately. HOwever, it doesn't stop or startblinking when the car is on. I turn the ignition, wait for 6 secons or so and then it's either off or blinking.

the code mechanic gave me is B0116 - OPEN SIDE SQUIB ckt (circuit?)left side.

I found 4-5 differnet connectors underneath the seat. I pushed them all (in lock position)a bit and the light has not been blinking for the last few days now. However, i pushed them when the keys were not in the ignition, so I don't know if it's a coinsidence and the problem has nothing to do with the connectors or not.
(and I don't know what SQUIB is)

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

B0116:

This is the driver’s side airbag located in the seat, the wiring come up under the seat. Did you do any work under the seat? That will be a harness plug under seat. If the car has power seats, there will be another plug for this.

This issue could be the wiring to the airbag, the airbag sensor or airbag squib.

There were two different manufacturers for the airbag system, TMC and TMMK.

The sensor is the device the senses the accident then triggers the airbag squib. The squib is an explosive device that generates a gas to inflate the airbag.

The sensor is also hooked up to the main SRS computer.

There are procedures to test the system but you will need access to the wiring harness under the seat.

Did the mechanic clear the code and reset the system?

The wire colors in the plug going from the sensor to the squib should be Yellow/Red and Yellow/Green.

If the light went off, you may have reconnected the plug. Don’t disconnect or reconnect the plugs with the ign switch on.

If the light is not blinking the system is working OK.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 AM

if you don't feel comfortable with electrical I wouldn't recommend repairing it yourself. you may cause damage to you car or even worst hurt yourself..