Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   Tail lights issue (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/tail-lights-issue-1941/)

gslrider 07-01-2007 10:39 PM

Tail lights issue

My tail lights just went out on me on my way home tonight, was working earlier today.

I'm just wondering if one bulb goes, does all of them stop working as well (kinda like a break in the line)? I'm a little concerned because if this isn't the case, then it's probably more than just replacing a bulb. Plus, I don't think all the bulbs would go out at once. Or could they?

Note: When I hit the breaks, the lights go on. Turn signals work as well. But while driving (as people kept hi-beaming me to let me know), and in park, there is nothing. Like as it would be if the car was turned off.

nodrogkam 07-02-2007 12:23 AM

RE: Tail lights issue

check your fuses. and just for kicks i'd pop out a bulb to see if one of the two fillaments are blown.

gslrider 07-02-2007 01:51 AM

Thanks, I'll give those a go. Post back what happens.

gslrider 07-02-2007 07:25 PM

Checked the fuses, didn't see a specific one for tail lights, just headlights. And that fuse is okay. Is there a fuse specifically for the rear lights? If so, what name would it be under? I just don't want to start unplugging all the fuses.

I tried removing one of the bulbs from the trunk lid, the one you turn is stuck, and I can't turn it counter clockwise. And the other looks like it's a clip, but that one is a bitch to remove as well. Even tried using pliers. I'm afraid of exerting anymore force, and end up breaking something. I'm going to have another crack at it.

gslrider 07-02-2007 07:27 PM

P.S. I just noticed that the license plate light doesn't work either. But the reverse light does. So the only thing working right now is reverse light, signals, and break lights. I'm really hoping that by replacing one bulb (or two should there be that many bulbs burnt out) will fix the problem. I hope it's not a bad wire somewhere along the line.

gslrider 07-02-2007 08:43 PM

So I checked all the bulbs in the back, and they are all fine (by the way, those are worst bulbs to get at. You either need really tiny fingers, or you can contort your arms and hands to any position). Checked all the normal fuses along where the headlight , horn, radio, etc... fuses are, and they are fine too. Didn't bother checking those big block ones.

I think there may be a short somewhere along the line. I'm hoping this is not the case, as I have no clue where to start in fixing this problem. I'm hoping I may have over looked something else.

Anymore input would be of great help. Much appreciated.

nodrogkam 07-03-2007 11:43 AM

dang i hate electrical problems...
Do your front sidemarkers light up?

Mostlikely you're in for a somewhat expensive repair. I'd be very careful doing electrical by yourself.

gslrider 07-03-2007 12:07 PM

I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

When you say "sidemarkers", are you referring to the amber lights? If so, I've never seen them light up since I bought the car (but the tail lights were working till only a couple of days ago). All the other front end lights work fine, signals, hazzards, hi-beam, and park.

Hopefully this may produce some good news?

nodrogkam 07-03-2007 12:11 PM

Well the parking lights are the front amber lights that turn orange when you signal/hazard, but glow a lighter orange when the headlights turn on too. If they do not glow then you may have a larger problem. If they do, then i think theres a short somewhere going to the rear of the car.

If i find some time i can look in my haynes manual...otherwise u can find a store or a dealership and look at one yourself...hopefully they'll have an open one! haha

gslrider 07-03-2007 12:25 PM

I believe they do glow a lighter orange. Unless it's just illuminated from the headlights. But what I have noticed, is that when testing my turn signals, the right amber shines more prominant than the left one. You can actually see the amber part light up bright. The left side, the signal is on but the amber isn't so bright, like it's just absorbing the light from the clear side of the corner light.

My corner lights are a little different from yours (according to your pic). Yours is all amber on the corner (or mostly amber). My corner lights is clear on the first half and a bit, and amber on the remaining area, but incased as one piece.

I have the Haynes manual as well, but only saw a section under electrical, about replacing the bulbs. Not much else.

gslrider 07-03-2007 02:17 PM

Alleluiah! Fixed. After a little more research, and getting a hold of my mechanic, I found out there are 2 fuse boxes. Haynes manual only tells of the fuse box inside the vehicle for Avalon models. But for the Camry they only mention of the one under the hood. I always thought that there should be one inside, but where I thought it should be there was only a little compartment (looks like for change) that flips down.

After some confirmation, I started to look around inside but still couldn't find one. So I decided to pull out the change compartment for the hell of it. And voila! There they were. And the the tail light fuse (marked in writing) was there. And it was blown. Didn't have any spares so I just swapped with the heater fuse (same amp). Now the tail lights, license plate light, and the side marker lights are all on. I'm just a little disappointed though that I broke a couple of plastic brackets a wire harness was clipped to, trying to get at the bulbs yesterday. Not to mention some cuts on my fingers. lol.

Thanks for all the input and patience!

nodrogkam 07-03-2007 07:22 PM

your car should be identical to mine...generation 4 camry's are built the same. The back of the haynes manual i belive shows the circuit diagrams which may help you out a bit.

gslrider 07-03-2007 08:06 PM

I'm hoping that I'll never have to actually refer to those charts. ;-)

Quick question (don't mean to hijack this thread), on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being a 12 year old can figure it out, 5 being a person who's automotive knowledge is limited to changing oil and tires can do it, and 10 being a professional mechanic), what is the difficulty level of installing fog lights?

nodrogkam 07-03-2007 08:20 PM

depending on what you get...probably a 5, so long as it comes with instructions and you have some common sense and electrical background and hardware background.

keep in mind im only 19...i did a ton of stuff when i was 18...

you also have to look at it another way...
If the kit you buy comes with good instructions, and they fit fairly well into wherever u want to put them, and the wires and stuff are long enough, then its really just a matter of using the included hardware and maybe a drill to get it all settled in.

My fogs required drill, zip ties, extra wire, soldering, and some creativity...haha

damn i've edited this thread so many times...
great to see u got it fixed! and dont worry about hijacking...this is your own thread!!!! haha

fixit 11-18-2007 01:40 PM

I had the same problem but the licence lights and the tail running lights weren't working. I did change all the bulbs and checked all the fuses under compartment but couldn't fix the problem. Please help.

Mr.Vanscienceman 11-30-2007 06:52 PM

I have the same problem. Is there a relay or a control in the trunk. No one that I hve gone to can help ie. AutoZone, oak tree machanic. My car is a 1998 Toyota Camry with 250,080miles. It runs great with no major problems. This is the biggest problem I have had and I am lost. Can some one help? Thanks.

gslrider 12-01-2007 12:30 AM

If all fuses are fine, and bulbs ok, it maybe a short in the wires. The only advise I've received for something like that is to physically check the wires. A good indication would be melted plastic covering the area. I've never actually had to do this, but that's one of the advices I received when trying to diagnose my tail light issue.

Sorry can't be more help.

gonzo 05-08-2009 03:51 AM

Tail Lights Issue

I've had exactly this problem - an Australian-built 1998 Camry. Look at the Tail Lamp Relay. My relay went faulty - was not "pulling in" properly. The usual sound (I have an Avaolon to compare) is a distinct "click". In my Camry, the Tail Lamp Relay is needed to activate the tail-lamps, number plate lights, front parker lights and, strangely the instrument panel. Had to "pay the man" to get this fixed. Hope this helps.