Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   2012 Camry - Torque Converter? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/2012-camry-torque-converter-51447/)

NewUser 01-23-2017 01:34 PM

2012 Camry - Torque Converter?

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Camry SE with 82,000 miles. I have started getting a shudder when I lightly accelerate while between 30mph and 50mph.

After some research I see that there was a warranty issued to cover this problem with the torque converter. The problem describes is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing.

Here it is: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v_KqDw&cad=rja

I took my car to my local Toyota dealership, told them what I was experiencing, and told them that I thought it was a known issue that may be covered. They took my car for a diagnostic, cam back and told me that I need to replace my entire transmission for $6,300.

I am not experiencing any other issues besides the shudder and based on the description of the known issue, I think the dealership may be trying to screw me into buying a new transmission....

Any insights?

toyomoho 01-23-2017 04:57 PM

The letter is a service campaign which updates the software used to operate the trans. The shudder is the torque converter locking up. The computer controls the trans operation. It happens the above problem results in trans failure.

This is an extended warranty for this issue. See link below:

2012-2014 Camry Transmission Shudder Software Update LSC E03 w/ Warranty Extension ZE5 | TOYO Headquarters

The first part of the notice deals with service campaign. The second deals with an enhanced warranty.

Find out if your car has had the service campaign applied to your car. Plus if it qualifies for the warranty. If needed call or visit another dealer and supply the VIN.

The $6300 is most likely because the trans would be new. If needing the work, contact a shop that does trans rebuilds in house and offers a good warranty. It will not be cheap but cheaper.

Shutter is a very common issue for this trans and years. An internet search will find lots of information.

mdgreg101 01-17-2021 10:20 AM

2012 Toyota Camry LE Transmission (U760E) Shudder

I posted the following to another person who had this same issue on this forum. You are the second person on this forum (so far I think I will find many more and not counting myself) that WEN ZE5 should have covered and the dealer did not replace the torque converter. My suggestion is go to small claims court and keep all your records for the future.

I am so sorry for your loss. You like me bought a white elephant. I too went to the dealership to get my transmission shudder taken care of. My 2012 Toyota Camry LE has 96K miles on it as of this post and needs a rebuilt transmission ($4000) at a local transmission shop or replaced with remanufactured at Toyota ($7200). If I would have driven it more miles my transmission would have gotten worse to the point where I would have taken it back to the dealer like you did several times. Your posting and this thread shows me that even if I would have gone back I probably would not have gotten them to replace the torque converter under WEN ZE5 like they were supposed to. The faulty transmission U760E shows that they are building things cheaper and less reliable and issuing LSC E03 at the same time issuing WEN ZE5 and then not even doing WEN ZE5 after they have admitted the issue proves that you can no longer expect reliability on any level from Toyota.

Please reply back to the current status of your Camry. Update the issue and post current mileage. Please also post date and times of repairs. If you go to my post you should be able to find my whole story as to what happened to me. I am posting it under 2012 Toyota U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ.

Live free or buy a new Toyota!​​​​​​​

Aresnick 04-12-2021 06:58 PM

Torque converter

Just found out about the enhancement thru my mechanic called and talked to customer service and they said since the enhancement had expired and I was 152,000 that there was nothing they could do!!! I

camry14 03-23-2022 04:56 PM

I got this issue a year or so ago but didn't know it's the notorious shuddering issue and therefore didn't have it checked by a mechanic until recently. unfortunately toyota declined the warranty enhancement program because it just expired 3~4 months ago.

just googled but didn't find any class action lawsuit against Toyota as mdgreg101 expected, even it seems there are quite a lot owners like me with just expired warranty coverage.

ZGar 10-05-2022 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by camry14 (Post 106496)
I got this issue a year or so ago but didn't know it's the notorious shuddering issue and therefore didn't have it checked by a mechanic until recently. unfortunately toyota declined the warranty enhancement program because it just expired 3~4 months ago.

just googled but didn't find any class action lawsuit against Toyota as mdgreg101 expected, even it seems there are quite a lot owners like me with just expired warranty coverage.

2012 Camry 2.5

I got this shuddering issue when I was approaching 10 years and only 70k miles. I did a drain and fill myself and the shuddering went away about 98% of the time. After 7k miles in the constant shuddering is starting back up agin. Im considering adding Lubeguard instant shudder fixx before doing another drain and fill.