Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   3rd gen camry (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/3rd-gen-camry-1500/)

hrdrifter 04-06-2007 02:11 AM

3rd gen camry

What's it mean when your 3rd gen camry (4-speed automatic) skips second gear?

hrdrifter 04-07-2007 04:33 PM

RE: 3rd gen camry

any suggestions, or thoughts? any at all?

05cam 04-07-2007 10:38 PM

skips 2nd gear? Thats a new one. Usually transmission shift in every gear and then finally into overdrive, once in overdrive it tries to stay in overdrive aslongs as possible to extend your miles per gallon. So if you slow down then speed back up it would shift right back into overdrive or the next highest gear possible . Perhaps this is what you think could be the problem. What makes you think it skips 2nd gear? 1st of all you should check your transmission fluid to see if its at the correct level and proper color. It should be redish or pink if not it needs to be changed , should also change the filter when ever you change the fluid. Its like and oil change you dont change the oil and not the filter it just doesnt make sense. Let the engine idle for about 5 mins to allow it to reach proper operating temp. Then check the fluid it should be on hot. If its not add the correct fluid till its at the hot level. Please better explain your problem so we can help you better

hrdrifter 04-08-2007 10:41 PM

Well I'm guess it's broken lol. The fluid has been changed since it started happening... The car has about 190K now and it's a '94. any ideas whether the tranny needs to be replaced or some other fix?

nodrogkam 04-09-2007 01:13 AM

lol skipping 2nd? sounds like a manual to me!

actually it sounds more like it's broken.

camry313 04-09-2007 08:25 AM

mmm ... this problem happend to me many times in diff cars ... what u do is that u need to change the gear filter & get a good brand oil for it ..
first what u do is to change the oil using the same old filter & drive it for a while .. lets say a wk.
then is to change the filter & the oil again .. fill it to the max level.
drive it for a day then check the oil .. its supposed to be a littel short that u have to add a little more ... but this time insted of oil u gotta add some adsitive which is made specially to be mixed with gear oil .. u can find this in many stores & there are many diff brands.
by this way u might be able to solve the problem.

its a cheaper better way to do ... if the problem is still there ... then my friend u have 2 choices to make:
1- To re-build the gear box ... that will cost u alot .. but u will be sure of ur gear box in future.
2- To buy a used gear box .. here in the middle east we get them from japan for around $300.00.

Best of Luck :)

hrdrifter 04-09-2007 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: camry313

mmm ... this problem happend to me many times in diff cars ... what u do is that u need to change the gear filter & get a good brand oil for it ..
first what u do is to change the oil using the same old filter & drive it for a while .. lets say a wk.
then is to change the filter & the oil again .. fill it to the max level.
drive it for a day then check the oil .. its supposed to be a littel short that u have to add a little more ... but this time insted of oil u gotta add some adsitive which is made specially to be mixed with gear oil .. u can find this in many stores & there are many diff brands.
by this way u might be able to solve the problem.

its a cheaper better way to do ... if the problem is still there ... then my friend u have 2 choices to make:
1- To re-build the gear box ... that will cost u alot .. but u will be sure of ur gear box in future.
2- To buy a used gear box .. here in the middle east we get them from japan for around $300.00.

Best of Luck :)

that sounds like a good idea. The tranny fluid was changed about 3 weeks ago after the problem started, but it was not driven much since the problem. thanks for your help

camry313 04-10-2007 04:18 AM

any time :D