Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

4000RPM+ @ >100km/hr

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Default 4000RPM+ @ >100km/hr

Hi guys,
I drive a 2005 Camry XLE. Whenever I start any trip, I easily do 100-120km/hr at around 2000rpm. However, if I have to slow down to less than 40 rpm or so, I won’t be hitting my previous 100-120km/hr at the previous rpm levels. Instead, it be hitting 3000rpm at 80km/hr and 4000rpm plus at above 100-120km/hr, making the coolant temperature higher than normal in the distance that I’ve covered. Using the AC at this point is risky because the coolant temperature will eventually overshoot the medium level). But if for any reason during the trip, I have to turn off the ignition (say I parked briefly or just cruising down a slope), then things revert to normal (2000rpm ish at 100-120km/hr). What could be the problem here? Thanks in anticipation guys.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Check trans fluid for too high or too low.

How many miles on the trans? When was the last time the trans fluid was replaced?

If the trans has a kick down cable, check this adjustment.

Try shifting manually up through the gears from Low to D.

Shifting is controlled by hydraulics with electric solenoids controlling the valves to allow the computer to time the shifting.

Since the trans resets when turning off the power. There could be debris in the hydraulic valve body causing valve sticking or a stuck electric solenoid.

If you know something about auto repair. Might try unplugging the trans solenoids from the computer. This would put the trans into manual shift mode only. If there is still a problem, it may be a valve in the valve body or shift clutch.

The trans has its own diagnostic system ported through the ODBII connection. A code reader may find trans trouble codes stored or pending.