Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   94 Toyota Camry pulling engine. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/94-toyota-camry-pulling-engine-52324/)

mack101 06-12-2018 08:15 PM

94 Toyota Camry pulling engine.

Ok so ole lady wrecked my 95 Toyota so i got a 94 body and am starting to pull the engine from the bottom .was wondering if anyone has any exp with this and any advice?

toyomoho 06-13-2018 12:14 AM

Take note of the differences in engines/trans as the ECU is specific to trans type, engine emissions built to, year, etc.

Mark every hose, wiring plug, etc. for reference during install. Taking pictures can help.

Can pull engine from top if able to tilt engine/trans as they come out.

Disconnect A/C compressor and PS pump from engine and secure to keep from straining the hoses by hanging.

mack101 06-17-2018 10:27 PM

Built a cherry picker out of 2x4`s and 2x6`s then built a 2 foot by 3 foot platform with 4 wheels dropped the engine on the platform .used cherry picker to raise the front of car off of engine moved engine using osb board to roll easly .i already have the engine bolted into the other body and ready to hook it all back up should have it running tomorrow i hope.
I know the ecm will work because when i bought the donner car i drove it for a few months the pickup coil went bad and i got the distributor from the guy i bought the first car from also about a year later car started being hard to start randomly after doing this for about 2 months one day wouldn`t start i had to use a multi meter and tracked the problem to my ecm .So i had to go get the ecm from the car i just swapped the engine into now.
Both cars i have now came from the same guy he bought one that threw a rod and the other had a bad transmission so he picked the one with the best interior and came out with one good car (the one my old lady wrecked) he sold the other car to another fellow but he only took the engine and i bought the body from him before he took it as well .so the ecm came from that body i just put the engine in originally.

mack101 06-17-2018 11:06 PM

But i have to admit i did not mark plugs and wire so i`m hoping i don`t have a lot of problems hooking it all back up .i think the plugs to fuse box and engine will be easier to figure out by looking at size,shape and number of pins.the other end of the harness that goes to ecm i`m not sure on i will just have to see tomorrow. i do have the repair manual so i`ll take a look at that before hand and try and glen some info there.

toyomoho 06-17-2018 11:48 PM

Thanks for posting back with an update.

Many plugs are unique and only fit their mate. The factory shop manual lists plugs by a letter discriminator. The manual shows where each plug is on the chassis and has a drawing of it.

When installing auto trans, make sure the torque converter is still filled with oil or it will not prime.

Plus make sure the trans oil pump and torque converter tang and groves line up. Has happened they did not and when pulling up the trans to the engine, the trans oil pump was damaged by the torque converter shaft.

mack101 06-18-2018 05:44 PM

I pulled from the bottom so i didn`t remove the transmission everything came down with the motor i just had to remove wiring harness fuse box and then unplug from ecm and remove harness there and toss it all onto the engine .also had to take radiator loose ,power steering hoses, AC lines, shift linkage and brake booster hose also i had to take the to front brake lines loose that way i didn`t have to remove the calipers everything literally dropped down with the engine.the only issues i had was having no exp with the struts and springs i stupidly removed the center strut bolt and decompressed my springs instead of removing the 3 bolts that hold the cap on top .So i had to go rent a decompressing tool from autozone .i got the engine running today and removed seats from the 2 bodys to change out.
The only other issue so far i have is when i took the power steering loose i tossed the reservoir and hoses over onto the engine and when i was pulling the body off the engine it got caught somehow and busted the line fitting off the bottom of the reservoir .just so you guys know this is a costly mistake i called 2 parts stores one wanted 104$ for it and the other 108$ luckly i just called a junkyard and they have one for 10$ .i could not believe they wanted that much money for a reservoir that is just a pint plastic jug with a cap and 2 hose fittings.
but yeah got it all running this morning ran good no issues was wondering when i removed the radiator i had to take the transmission lines loose and i did lose a bit of fluid don`t think it was much but do you know what type of fluid the transmission needs?

toyomoho 06-18-2018 06:41 PM

Nice write up! Good job.

The trans and PS use the same fluid, Dexron III or its now equivalents. The fluid quantity between the dip stick high and low marks is not that large!

If you want long trans life change the trans fluid. Depending on the trans model, it may have a separate diff fluid chamber.

mack101 06-19-2018 06:17 AM

Well good luck for me i was working last night on the car and started looking into the trunk and spotted the rear power steering hose.i knew they tossed some odd and end parts in the back when they removed the engine from that body so dug around a bit and there was the power steering reservoir .so good luck on my part.have a few things today to do power steering ,air filter,hood,brake lines and bleeding ,and i should be on the road in a few hours.

mack101 06-19-2018 09:35 PM

well drove the car today everything is well just an issue with front driver side brake should be an easy fix.funny thing is i thought for sure i would have to replace window switches on the doors because the windows have been down for 3 years or more being soaked by rain.But to my surprise all switches work and windows are all fine can`t figure out why anyone would leave the windows down if they worked.