Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

97 camry engine replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Default 97 camry engine replacement options

hey, joined the forum here to try to gain some knowledge about camrys. im currently a mechanic and ive not much knowledge on them besides normal matainence. a customer of ours recently blewan engine in a 97 auto camry. she doesnt have the cash for repairs so i figured id pick this car up cheap and throw an engine in it. apparently of these years these engines had oil sludge problems resulting in loss of oil pressure therefor loosing any component in the engine (in this case it seems a bearing shot apart and put holes through the oil pan). used engines are hard to come across and for a hardy price at 1500 dollars with 70k. 2000 dollars for a short block from toyota is way out of my range. and 2500 for a rebuilt (which i would not even trust) is waaayyy to much to spend.
or, opt for a jap spec 2.0 that im sure modifications are required to fit.

my question is, which is why i come to this forum for the experts, what is required to install a 2.0 japanese engine?? my boss called around and located them forr 800 shipped, sound right?? the guy he talked to said something about drilling a tranny mount??
does anyone here know if this engine has a knock sensor? my brother owns an is300 and the forums hes been on people say theres problems with this issue in jap engine swaps. a few months back i replaced a bad v6 in an older camry 91 maybe (pain in the ***) and we had very good luck fiding an engine for it.
im not sure the engine came out of the same year, but it had no knock sensor.. no problem since the car is not obd2.

please help guys, it would be hard to see this car go the boneyard instead of fixing it and makin it my daily driver. i just want to swap it, with no engine codes, no worries. thanks a lot for any sort of info!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 camry engine replacement options

y dont u just swap a usdm 5sfe u should find 1 around 800 too.....and it will fit perfect.....