Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 camry LE 4 cyl temp over heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Unhappy 99 camry LE 4 cyl temp over heating

in need of assistance, i have a 99 camry a few weeks ago i started to make some clicking noise with out overheating or leaking or anything like that , the noise was by the alternator/water pump, so i took apart suspecting it was the water pump and sure enough the bearing was gone, so i replace it and thermostat, put it back together made sure that it was time and everything, fill it up with green coolant and not red that it came with.... 5 minutes later come to realize that the temp was going up further than normal, above half gage. i was a little confuse cause it had never over heat before. call the dealer and they told me that it uses red coolant and that is what i should use, so i flush the radiator and put red coolant in it. turn it on and same thing.(overheating and realize that i had mix red and greeen coolant) then flush everything by taking off the upper radiator hose, turn the car on and water hose to radiator, finally just water started coming out and not coolant(red 0r Green) but still overheating so i replace #1 #2 #3 fan relays, temp sensor, coolant sensor, and radiator coolant fan switch twice. then again thermostat, flush it again.. and just fill it up with water to make sure that it was good but again overheating so i replace the water pump again, and still the same thing finally checked fuses but its all good, then took the thermostat out and ran it with out one a thermostat and still overheating, i don't know what else to do, i have done everything i can think off to make sure this is running properly and it is, it sound better than when i bought it. but i don't understand why the temp gage goes all the way up to overheat, i don't know what could cause this to overheat,
Does anyone have any suggestion...????? water pum, relays, fuses, sensor, thermostat have been replace twice to make sure that there is no bad part but still overheating,..
anyone outhere can help...

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Did replacing the WP fix the clicking noise problems?

The type of coolant used will not cause or reduce overheating.

The coolant fans come on at around 199F, do the fans come on when the engine overheats? Do the fans comes when you turn on the AC and cycle with the compressor?

Does then engine overheat when driving on the hwy?

The cooling system should be robust enough for the temp gauge to staya t a constant location regardless of driving conditions.

Did you check the engine for a blown head gasket, bubbles in the coolant, frothing coolant?

Flow test the radiator. Place a garden hose in the upper hose fill point, the water should come out the bottom hose port without backing up in the radiator.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Default still overheating

i have also replace the relays for the fans just in case but still the same thing. i have notice that the upper Rad hose gets really hot by sensor housing, but the lower hose by the thermostat housing does not get hot at all and the radiator does not get hot either, it does get warm but not hot. so i am assuming that the gage is wrong or i got a cluged block somewhere. just to throw this in there most parts that i have put have been bought at Autozone, i have bought there before and never had a problem not to mention that i have replace the parts twice to include the water pump.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Did replacing the WP fix the clicking noise problems?
Yes replacing the WP fix the clicking noise cause the bearing was bad...

The type of coolant used will not cause or reduce overheating.
No but the dealer said that mixing green and red can cause the hoses to disolve and cause the block to clog and overall overheat. so i actually flushed it completely

The coolant fans come on at around 199F, do the fans come on when the engine overheats? Do the fans comes when you turn on the AC and cycle with the compressor?
i was told over at PepBoys, that the fans will come on at 212dgrs, also that the car was not overheating but the gage is wrong. thats when i relace the temp sensor,coolant sensor,radiator fans switch again, but when the gage says is overheating the fan does not come on, but when the ac is turn on the fan come on as is suppose to. thats why at pepboys the guy said that the fans don't come on cause its not overheating and that the temp sensor is bad. (i bought this car at33k now it has 130k ever since i bought it the temp gage always read at half but when i looked at my buddys camry same year and model and cyl, his reads 1/4 of the gage. so am thinking it over heat or i got something that dont belong to this car.

Does then engine overheat when driving on the hwy?
i havent driven out on the road, just by turn in it on wait a few minutes the gage goes all the way up.

The cooling system should be robust enough for the temp gauge to staya t a constant location regardless of driving conditions.
yes but it doesn't it goes all the way up.

Did you check the engine for a blown head gasket, bubbles in the coolant, frothing coolant?
yes i checked for bubbles in the coolant and nothing actually you can tell is flowing normaly, i don't see nothing around the head, nor leaking or anything like that, i also checked my oil and its normal.

Flow test the radiator. Place a garden hose in the upper hose fill point, the water should come out the bottom hose port without backing up in the radiator.
i have done that and it has very good flow.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 AM

i have done everything i can think off but replace the speedometer cluster. maybe i should replace it, but what i don't understand is that this car was never overheating at all and it was driving fine until the clicking noice came about. actually i had mix the green and red by accident, cause i thought i had flush all the coolant but the block still had some so when i turn the car on you can see the green and red cooland. i had flush all of it by putting a garden hose on radiator and take the upper hose off, turn and car on and let it flush out, off course now am only using water and no coolant cause the read coolant is $40 a gallon at the dealer.
other than that its the only mistake i have done.

Last edited by L.E.M; 02-17-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: ad more info
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 AM

does anyone think that aftermarket sensor could be the problem and should i pay extra but get the one they sell at the dealer????????????

Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

The Toyota coolant is good but not manditory. Look for Zerex G0-5, should be around $15 gal and is not premixed.

The engine coolant system has several temp sensors. One for the computer, one for the indicator gauge, one is on the lower radiator that turns the coolant fans on if the coolant gets above 199F (check the manual).

Rather then keep replacing parts send a private message with your email address, will respond with info you can use to test the components with a volt/ohm/amp meter.