Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Best oil for your camry....

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Default Best oil for your camry....

I have not posted much here but I have seen a few posts about the best oil for cars. You cannot go wrong with conventional oils in the recommended weight. The only two reasons I can think of that synthetics would fall under is very cold climates for more startup protection or extended oil change intervals. There is no question synthetics flow in cold temps at startup than conventional. Very cold being something below say -10F. Conventional oil can also be ran on 5000 mile intervals today. Oils are better and motors are easier on oil than they were many years ago. Now, if you want to stretch your intervals out to like 8000 miles then synthetic is something to think about. Synthetics do not sheer and break down as fast as conventional. That does not mean they protect any better. They just last longer. If you are under warranty always do the recommended interval no matter what though. There is a great forum you can read that guys share info on all kinds of lubricants. Some of the guys a very sharp and have done many tests and analysis on lubricants, filters, and other things. Enough reading on here and most will start leaning towards conventional as well. Don't get me wrong. Synthetics do have their place. Go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and make sure you check out the forums as well. Hope this helps some that have questions about synthetic and conventional oils.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Best oil for your camry....

On my 08 Camry 4 cylinder the owners manual and the oil cap call for 5w20 or 0w20 for cold weather . I am in sunny So. Cal. 3 toyota dealerships , 2 of which are service managers , recommend 5w30 over 5w20 . After reviewing Bobs the Oil Guy and thisforum it seems that 5w20 is better for economy (C.A.F.E.) and5w30 is better for wear. I chose 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum. Any idea what others are using in there 4 cylinder Camrys?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 AM

5w30 I'm sure is fine but I don't think there is anything wrong with 5w20. It's considered new and many are reluctant to change. It has been around for a while now. There is cars out there with plenty of miles on them and using 5w20. There is no question that a 30w is going to have better film strength and coat better than a 20w. Keep in mind even though your thicker oil coats better you lose flow over the thinner 20w. Either is going to flow like a 5w at startup so I see no difference at startup. Dealers are pushing 5w30 often because that's what they stock in bulk. Nothing wrong with that but just because they say it doesn't make it gospel. Again, 5w30 would be fine I think. Many are getting stellar results using 5w20 allthough.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 AM

Oh, I am in north Texas. Our winters are very mild and summers are scorching. I am running 5w20 and have been very happy with it.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 AM

Well for the 5S and 1MZ, I THINK these engines were basically given a faulty engine temp guage because the heat is so high; that conventional oil breaks down and turns into sludge. Yes, these engines are all prone to sludge.

After finding that out; - i switched over to synthetic oil. Its not much more than a regular oil change and it preserves my engine by protecting it from sludge since synthetic oils have a higher heat tolerance than conventional.

So.. i say synthetics- i'd mention what im using but it'd sound like a sales pitch. LOL.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM

That is a valid point about heat. Turbos generate more heat and have the coking effect is why synthetic is recommended. The sludge issue I thought had been resolved at Toyota. After all the trouble they have had I cannot believe they wouldn't have addressed it. This is the type thing that could really bite them in the tail if not addressed. If synthetic oil gives you warm fuzzies then by all means use it. I just think one should research the differences before spending the money because one person said one oil is bettter than another. There is no question synthetic oil has its place. There is cars out there that require synthetic. I'm sure there is a good reason for that as well.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: tsmay51

That is a valid point about heat. Turbos generate more heat and have the coking effect is why synthetic is recommended. The sludge issue I thought had been resolved at Toyota. After all the trouble they have had I cannot believe they wouldn't have addressed it. This is the type thing that could really bite them in the tail if not addressed. If synthetic oil gives you warm fuzzies then by all means use it. I just think one should research the differences before spending the money because one person said one oil is bettter than another. There is no question synthetic oil has its place. There is cars out there that require synthetic. I'm sure there is a good reason for that as well.
damn right. Im a poor college student so - i'd rather get the extra protection for my engine for an extra $8 per oil change w/synthetic. At least this way- i know that im not gonna be down with a diagnosis of "engine sludge" "must change engine" it'll cost "5,700" - LOL

Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Default Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1. Question for bpep - or anyone else for that matter

Originally Posted by bpep
On my 08 Camry 4 cylinder the owners manual and the oil cap call for 5w20 or 0w20 for cold weather . I am in sunny So. Cal. 3 toyota dealerships , 2 of which are service managers , recommend 5w30 over 5w20 . After reviewing Bobs the Oil Guy and thisforum it seems that 5w20 is better for economy (C.A.F.E.) and5w30 is better for wear. I chose 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum. Any idea what others are using in there 4 cylinder Camrys?

I have an 09 V6 LE. I have been a Pennzoil fan all my life. At my first 6 month oil change was at 4000 miles and used 5W30. I am so phobic about my oil, I buy the plastic bottles and bring it to the dealer and watch them so make sure they pour the right the oil in and that they change the 1950's style cannister oil filter. My 12 month checkup is due next week at 9000 miles and I am switching to synthetic. I had planned to use Pennzoil Platinum until I read that only Mobil 1 and Amsoil are made from the best quality stock

I wouldn't buy Amsoil on a bet because of their pyramid marketing scams, but their multiple lab test results of 11 different synthetic oils tend to favor Mobil 1 over Platinum - but not by much.

http://www.thefirstsyntheticoil.com/...comparison.htm

What made you go with the Platinum and did you notice any improvement in gas mileage after you made the switch?

Last edited by Paul3637; 03-20-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: To add lab test results
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Hi, I found an interesting article on this topic https://carnesmechanical.com/best-oil-for-toyota-camry/ Perhaps this will also be useful to you.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by davidmuench
Hi, I found an interesting article on this topic https://carnesmechanical.com/best-oil-for-toyota-camry/ Perhaps this will also be useful to you.
The only thing interesting about the article is that it shows a picture of a 2018 or later Camry with requires 0W16 synthetic motor oil and not a single oil mentioned meets the spec. for it.
My local WalMart sells Mobil 1 0W20 for about $25 per five quart jug. With cars only needing only 7,500 to 10,000 mile/once a year synthetic oil changes ... who cares about saving a few bucks a year on the price of motor oil. Last Mobil1 5W30 oil change in my 09V6 with 122K miles, I went 8,500 miles and the oil level never moved off the full mark and the oil never even looked very "dark/dirty."