Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Broke off stud on water pump -help! (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/broke-off-stud-water-pump-help-52700/)

Mpav329 02-08-2019 08:46 AM

Broke off stud on water pump -help!

I was tightening the water pump bolts when one of the lower studs broke off. Any suggestions to make sure it won't leak?

toyomoho 02-08-2019 09:45 AM

You going to need to replace the stud.

Year of car and engine type-4 or 6 cylinder?

Picture?

How much of the stud is sticking out of the water pump housing after removing the pump?

Any access to an arc welder?

After removing the pump, is enough of the stud exposed to grab it with a removal tool? Or cut a slot in the end of the stud for a screw driver?

Before doing anything. Review the various YouTube videos on broken stud removal. The issue is the assumed limited work space is going to make using the typical stud removing methods much more challenging. Best to know what your going to do rather the risk making the situation the worse in using a hit or miss method.

Mpav329 02-08-2019 09:59 AM

Water pump problem

1. It’s the v6 model and it’s the lower stud that a bolt fits over - very little access and I was thinking of just putting some oermatex on the gasket and hope the other fasteners do the trick - what do you think about that?

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 99863)
    You going to need to replace the stud.

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 99863)

Year of car and engine type-4 or 6 cylinder?

Picture?

How much of the stud is sticking out of the water pump housing after removing the pump?

Any access to an arc welder?

After removing the pump, is enough of the stud exposed to grab it with a removal tool? Or cut a slot in the end of the stud for a screw driver?

Before doing anything. Review the various YouTube videos on broken stud removal. The issue is the assumed limited work space is going to make using the typical stud removing methods much more challenging. Best to know what your going to do rather the risk making the situation the worse in using a hit or miss method.

toyomoho 02-08-2019 04:41 PM

Might try something like JB Weld. Something that can withstand the coolant system pressure without being pushed out where they may now be a gap due to the lack of stud.

You are own your own here as everyone replaces the stud.

Mpav329 02-09-2019 08:08 AM

Broke stud

After reviewing many sources, I agree with you about the stud needing replaced - how difficult are those studs to turn out? Just trying to gauge how optimistic I should be

toyomoho 02-09-2019 02:55 PM

The odds of removal are 100% but a stud can be easy or challenging to remove.

Broken bolts/studs are common, as is a broken stud in this engine or the 4-cylinder. The result being there are hosts of internet threads and videos on removing studs/bolts. Suggest you read as much as you can on this issue.

Might start by removing the pump and if the engine is equipped the water pump housing. This will allow access to any portion of the stud that still extends out from the block.

If enough stud is exposed there are tools to try to extract it. If you have access to an arc welder, a nut can be welded to the stud.

There are some threads at this site on broken thermostat housing studs.

Mpav329 02-09-2019 05:29 PM

Broke stud

With a combination of heat, penetrating oil and an extraction tool I was able to remove. Thanx for all your help bro!

Mpav329 02-09-2019 05:32 PM

Broke stud

Hopefully after a new water pump , seals and timing belt it will run for a couple more years - its got 310,000 miles on it now! I'm glad I found this forum!

toyomoho 02-10-2019 09:55 AM

310K and still going strong, great job!