Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camry 98 won't start or shuts down during ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Default Camry 98 won't start or shuts down during ride

I have Toyota camry 1998 2.2 (180K on it)and have intermittent problem with starting.I would drive for few days/weeks and suddenly itdoesn't start,I leave it for few hours and starts fine.Also,recently started shuting down while driving,i would pull over turn it off and few seconds after starts and I can drive normaly.I got it towed 3 times,while it comes to mechanic it works fine.I went to electrician he found no problems with electricity...Check engine light stays off even when won't start.When shuting down during ride all lights would come ON.Car was maintained properly all the time,t-belt recently replaced,battery also...
Both mechanic and electrician guy suspecting Fuel pump pressure...
If you had similar problem,please help.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Default RE: Camry 98 won't start or shuts down during ride

Forgot to mention,it does not always start after shuting down while driving,that's why i needed towing.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM

About8 years ago, I hadsimilar symptoms on my '91 Honda Accord. I think the fuel pump was the culprit. Or was it the fuel filter? Hmmm...can't remember for sure. It was either one or the other.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Is the check engine light on, if so have you had the codes read? Has any mechanic checked the fuel pressure and flow rate?

If engine dies or will not start when hot might be the fuel pressure regulator, the result is vapor lock or low pressure. Or could be the pump. The regulator is at the fuel rail, passengers side.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Is the check engine light on, if so have you had the codes read?
Has any mechanic checked the fuel pressure and flow rate? If engine dies or will not start when hot might be the fuel pressure regulator, the result is vapor lock or low pressure. Or could be the pump. The regulator is at the fuel rail, passengers side
-
-No rules for check engine light,it is mostly off. Mechanic read the code twice,it says oxygen sensor number 1...but that is not causing the problem.
-Also,sometimes it wont start after not being driven for day or two,so even when angine is cold.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

You state the engine dies when driving but can easily be restarted. The dash lights would come on if engine off and ign key on. Check engine code is the O2 sensor, and light is on all the time.

Does the car start OK if not sitting for a couple of days? How cold is it where you are? Does the engine run OK once started (besides the occasional stall).

Still could be low fuel pressure from a diffective fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Or an issue with the fuel pump relays, these turn the pump on/off. The sitting for a few days could allow the fuel pressure to bleed down slowly, a diffective regulator not allow pressure to build up.

Or might clean the IAC valve, this valve controls engine idle speed. It can cause hard starting, stalling as you have and then the easy restart. A Google search will turn many hits on this item.

And next time it does not start after sitting check for ign spark when the engine is cranking.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your help Toyomoho,I will answer your questions now:
-Car starts fine sometimes even after only 1 hour.
-I live in Toronto,but this is all happening during nice days ( +20 C)
-Yes,engine runs great for a week or two once started,than it stalls again or even won’t start.Usualy I can’t wait for a whole hour to start cause I gotta make it on time for work…
Also,when it stalls during the ride I notice that car is slowing down and is not getting any gas no matter how fast I press gas pedal...

Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Camry 98 won'

Check fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, could also be the MAP sensor.