Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Duel Cam oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Default Duel Cam oil Pump

I blew the motor in my car and my husband is rebuilding the motor.

It ran out of oil pressure, spun two rod barons, Mains were good, crank is standerd, rods turned 10s.

He sees one baron that looks like it spun a little bit on the front of the duel cam pump.

He is having me to ask if there is a need to change out the Duel Cam Oil pump that is under the crank shaft? What does this duel cam do? what is its function? does it balance for the crank shaft, what is the defects of it? Whats its purpose?

He said the oil pump is picking up oil, but have been advised to change out the Duel Cam pump do you feel this is needed to be done and why.

Thank you for any help.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Duel Cam oil Pump

Greetings:

Can you clarify your questions a little?

What year of car and engine is this? Camry, year, V6 or 4 cylinder? Camry used about 7 engine models.

A 22R is an engine from a Toyota truck among other models.

The 4 cylinder 5S-FE engine can have two balance shafts under the crankshaft. They make the engine run smoother with less vibration.

There is only one oil pump on all of these engines.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Can you clarify your questions a little? What year of car and engine is this? Camry, 93, 4 cylinder it says 2200 on the head, everyone is telling us its a 22 r, so that must be wrong...

The balancing shaft has ONLY one baron that rotates is this ok to put back on the motor?

He appreciates your help with this. It appears someone has give him some wrong information lately around these parts.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

If you look at the intake manifold (right above the head) and see the large numbers "2200", the engine is a 5S-FE. This is the only 4 cylinder offered for this car in 1993. The engine was used from say 1992-2001 with improvements taking place over the years.

Below the body of the block (below the crankshaft) is a craddle that holds the two counter balance shafts side by side. The are geared to the crankshaft by.

I have never taken them apart but guessing the balance shafts do not have replacable bearing like the crank but the bearings are built into the craddle and craddle cap. Much like overhead valve camshaft bearings that are part of the head and built into the aluminum bearing cap.

Each balance shaft has a replaceble thrust tbearing the limits endplay, much like a thrust bearing on the crankshaft. Side thrust clearance is 0.0026-0.0043 inch. There bearings are selected to adjust the endplay of each shaft, thus don't mix them up.

If the shaft bearing journals and bearing pads look OK and are not damaged along with these thrust bearings then everything should be OK. The loads on these shafts must be very low unlike the rod bearings which take a pounding and need oil to survive.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM

He said thank you very much, He is going to give it a try this afternoon.
He sends his thanks!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to help.

Send a private message and I can send a link to a site with more detailed info.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM

gruh... He got the motor built and now it wont start. Toyo we sent you a pm.
Got fire and its getting fuel, just wont start!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure cam and crank pulley alignment was correct when the belt was installed.

And that the initial timing is close to what is should be, as in the distributor was not moved around, etc.

You are getting fuel at the injector and spark at the plugs?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

It started!!!
He went back and checked it again, you were right, he says thank you for all your help!!

I thank you as well. We sure appreciate all you have done to help us get this going.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to help!