Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine swap on 95 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Default engine swap on 95 Camry

I do not know if I am stupid or just have bad luck. I bought a made in Japan 2.0 3SFE and it sounds very smooth. The garage took my intake,fuel injectors and rail, exhaust manifold and engine sensorsfrom my 2.2 5SFE and installed on the 2.0. The distributor "0" ring is leaking oil, I got a new one from Toyota and the problem still exist. I was thinking about taking the 2.2 distributor and putting it on the 2.0. They look identicle. When the garage finished the car starts good and idles good but when you rev the motor the motor either dies or idles rough and very slow and sometime the idle surges up and down. I picked up the car on Tuesday afternoon at closeing and pointed out the issues and they told me to bring it back on Wednesday but they were closed on Wednesday and Thursday. They are full of lies and deceit. I do not know if it is the injectors, vacuum lines connected wrong or what. I have a Haynes repair manual but it is not as complete as the Chilton manual I have for my Honda. I am at a lost!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Default RE: engine swap on 95 Camry

Did they switch the computer of the car?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 PM

I took the car to another mechanic and he says the vacuum lines are not correct. My Haynes book does not have a good diagram of the vaccuum lines like the Chilton book does for my Honda. Can anyone tell me where I can find a diagram for my 95 Camry 4 cyl.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM

I spoke with the company I bought the motor from and they said to just swap everything from the 2.2 and put it on the 2.0 and it will run good with the same computer. All they do is sell made from Japan motors and trans. They also told me the same thing the mechanic did that the vacuumlines are notconected correct.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 PM

I say you forget about that 2 liter engine and go back there and demand that they put in a new 3sgte engine.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 AM

This is my wife's car. It is a family car and needs to be dependable and safe. A higher HP motor will serve no purpose.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Those engines are bullet proof so they are not gona break down. And so far as power if you leave the stock turbos your gona have as much power as the new v6 camrys have. Having power isn't always about racing you need some good power so whenyou pull onto the highway you can do it safely and if there's a lot of weight in the car the car won't struggle to drive

Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Hey man if your still having problem with your engine I talked to a guy at this japanese engine shop in a town close to mine. He gave me his sn its jdmenginesinc these people can answer all of your questions.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Who supplied the engine you or the shop? If the shop they are responsible for getting it to run.

If you paid by credit card file a dispute before the charge goes through then force them to fix it or get some kind of settlement offer.

Having to do it over again it would have been best to obtain another 2.2L engine, this has more power, etc and is really the right engine for these cars setup.

If you can, find a competent mechanic familiar with Toyota's. They should be able to work out these problems. The 2.0 was used in Camry before the 2.2 came along. Not sure why the first shop is having so many problems.

Send a private message and I will send back more detailed info that can help.

This type of swap has been successfully done as well as going from a 2.0L to 2.2L engine.

As to the distributor leak, is the oil coming out of the side of the housing or dripping from inside the shaft area? I would pull the distributor, then clean the hole in the head where the distributor installs. May have some oil sludge buildup allowing a leak. You want a clean area for the seal to ride on.