Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Funny oil leak (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/funny-oil-leak-48955/)

ZE608 01-05-2014 10:12 PM

Funny oil leak

I have a 96 Camry with 2.2 L. I'm leaking from where looks to be between where the motor and the tranny meet. I just replaced the timing belt, oil pump seal, valve cover gaskets, and oil pan gasket. I had it jacked up and started it up and no leaks, I lowered it and while still running and still no leaks but then I took it for a test drive, After driving it for 10 mins or so I smelled oil, I got it back in my garage and it was leaking oil, I jacked it up and started it but no leaking, I lowered it and still no leaking, but I drove it again and when I got back in my garage it was leaking. It seems funny that it leaks only when moving, I would think the leak would show up when running and sitting still, anyone have any thoughts? I think I'm going to try and buy some of that UV light leak detector fluid. Thanks

Patonium 01-06-2014 01:03 AM

Did it leak before you did the work?

toyomoho 01-06-2014 09:36 AM

Leaking on top of where the engine and trans meet or out the bottom of the trans bell housing? Is this engine or transmission fluid?

Take note when the car is sitting still the RPM is much lower and the trans in park.

ZE608 01-09-2014 02:34 PM

Yes it leaked before. Before I did any work I had it on jacked up and running it leaked out of the oil pump seal and the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket, I replaced all 3, had it still jacked up and started it, no leaks, so I thought it was good, I lowered it, no leaks, I drove it around for a while and when I parked it I noticed it was leaking pretty good, but when it's running and sitting still it don't leak, seems strange only leaking when moving, any thoughts?

toyomoho 01-09-2014 07:53 PM

Engine or transmission oil?

Patonium 01-09-2014 11:25 PM

It might be wise to de-grease and hose down the engine so you can tell where the leak is coming from. If the car has been leaking before the repairs so there is probably some residual leakage and build up. Try to get it cleaned up so you can find the new(old) leaks and you aren't looking at all the old stuff.

ZE608 01-14-2014 03:00 AM

I degreased and hosed the engine down, It still leaked I bought some uv dye and used it it looks like it's leaking where the motor and tranny meet, around the stiffener plate and foam block. Also I noticed I have slightly damaged the foam block when I removed the oil pan before, this appears to be for vibration or something and not a seal but maybe I;m wrong. If it's leaking in that location I fear it could also be the rear main seal. I think I may end up re-doing the oil pan and see what happens. What do you think?

toyomoho 01-14-2014 08:53 AM

The lower portion of the bell housing has a half moon access plate to allow unbolting the torque converter. Remove the plate then look up inside the bell housing for since of dripping oil. If oil in this location the engine real seal is bad (assuming the fluid is engine oil).

ZE608 01-14-2014 02:17 PM

Joey, the half moon plate you're talking about is the one that has two stubs coming out that hold the foam block in place? thanks

toyomoho 01-14-2014 10:20 PM

Look for a rectangle removable cover between the studs and remove cover. Studs should be bolts having a different bolt head design.