Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Help identifying the problem with Check engine light. p0441/wrong charcoal canister? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/help-identifying-problem-check-engine-light-p0441-wrong-charcoal-canister-45249/)

artemtroy 05-20-2013 01:17 AM

Help identifying the problem with Check engine light. p0441/wrong charcoal canister?

Hey everyone. Newbie here...
Have a problem that I can't figure out. I've been working on it for months.
Have a check engine light P0441 and sometimes p0450. Last time I checked it showed P0441 and pending p0450.
I have a 97 camry 4 cyl. 5speed transmission.
checked all vacuum lines, cleaned them, not cracked. replaced the gas cap.
tried a different charcoal canister from a junk yard, actually tried 2 different ones. By the way, I have the old type canister, that's round, 92-96 camry's have the same canister. I've been searching on the internet about this problem and they all talk about the charcoal canister that's located in the back of the car underneath, but my canister is the same as 95 or 96 camry. So I can't figure it out. I also tried to replace the ported vacuum switch (plastic blue with threaded end) Still no results... Please HELP>

toyomoho 05-20-2013 01:17 PM

Toyota would have moved the canister from the engine compartment to under the chassis in front of the fuel tank. The canister shown for a 1997 is square.

Is your car built for the USA or another country?

Can only speculate having only knowledge of USA cars.

The older USA round canister system was a simple manual design having no electrical controlled vacuum valves, pressure gauges or computer. It was not monitored by the check engine system.

The newer system has an electric vapor pressure sensor connected to an electric two-way valve (called VSV for pressure sensor) that can switch the sensor between the gas tank and canister in order to determine these pressures. This sensor is controlled by the ECU.

The newer system has a electric valve (called VSV for EVAP) between the canister and engine intake controlled by the ECU. When the valve is opened by the ECU the gasoline vapors in the canister are drawn into the engine.

The valves are 12v solenoid type.

From what you describe your system appears to has a ported vacuum switch in place of the VSV between the canister and engine intake. Check if this switch has two vacuum hoses, making sure the hoses are not plugged or leaking.

The P0441 codes means:

The pressure in the canister does not drop during a purge cycle. Purge meaning the gasoline fumes in the canister are routed to the engine to be burned. This is done with an electric valve on newer cars and a coolant temp controlled vacuum hose switch on older round can systems.

Or during purge pressure in the canister is very low compared to atmosphere.

Somewhere on your system must be a vapor pressure sensor providing a signal to the ECU.

Causes of this code for the newer system include:
-Problems with the VSV such as stuck valve, bad solenoid or short or open electrical wiring.
-Problems with the vapor pressure sensor or electrical wiring.
-Bad vacuum hoses having leaks or blockage.
-Cracked/leaking canister.
-Fuel tank overflow check valve cracked or not working properly.

Determine if the top of the canister has components having electrical wiring connections going to them. One component being a vapor pressure sensor. If not examine the system to find it.

artemtroy 05-21-2013 12:10 AM

i guess my system is old and manual

So if my system is manual, and no electric solenoids anywhere, how is computer registering that there is a problem with the purge cycle? Is there some kind of vapor pressure sensor? if so, where is it located? maybe it's faulty. Because I didn't find any other electric parts for the evap system. checked all the vacuum hoses and they all seem pretty good.

toyomoho 05-21-2013 09:44 AM

As stated given your system does not match USA cars for your year can only speculate. What country are you in?

I stated your system may have a manual valve in place of the electric VSV that routes the vapors to the tank from the canister.

The system must have some electrical components or the ECU would never be able to monitor system pressures and set these codes.

Might look under the car in front of the gas tank for any sensors or valves.

artemtroy 05-21-2013 06:47 PM

I'm in Washington state, but the car was bought from California I think, but I don't know if it has the california emission system or not.

full house 05-23-2013 01:30 AM

with that code you can simple identify the problem P0441 EVAP means system incorrect purge flow engine light code.

artemtroy 05-23-2013 02:15 AM

ok, it says incorrect purge flow... but I can't figure out what to replace to fix the problem. I already checked all the vacuum hoses, they're all good. tried to replace the charcoal canister and the ported valve, the next thing on the list would be the vapor pressure sensor.