Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Hot engine...????

Old 09-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Default Hot engine...????

1997 Camry with 176k miles had leaked oil gradually until there was none left. This week I noticed the car was getting noticeably hot and you could easily tell this by placing a hand especially on the RHS of the hood just above the wheel. I placed my backyard thermometer on top of the alternator and RHS shock, placed back the hood. Checking on it after about 5 minutes the thermometer was blown. In trying to figure out where is the temp emanating from I checked oil and it was dry. I mean the dipstick didn't even show a drop. So yesterday morning I put about 4.5 quarts of Mobil synthetic high mileage 10W30. Drove 5 miles, and the car is not as hot but I can't help to think it's still getting unusually hot. After driving for 2 miles I compared it with wifeys mirage driven the same distance, they were both just as hot but the radiator's bottom hose on Camry was slightly hotter than the mirage (I guestimate the top hoses were both equally hot.)

I don't know how long the has been driving around in the Texas heat in this condition. I did drive 90miles on Monday, 50 on Tuesday and 5 on Wednesday, that's when I did the temp check. In all this the temp gauge remains at just a hair below half which is where I have always seen it at.

Again I can't help to think it's still getting unusually hot that maybe something got messed up even though there are no funny noises or anything unusual I can see or hear, as the car's performance feels just fine.

P/S
I once asked what oil the local speedy used on this car and they said 10w30. The cap says 5w30. This being Dallas Texas which would be the correct one?

Last edited by jayinc11; 09-12-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

You need a thermometer with a higher max temp. The engine compartment is going to be well over 100F.

No oil on the dipstick could be just a couple of quarts low. Did the oil pressure light ever come on? If not, the engine should be OK.

The 10w-30 is fine. The 5W is better for cooler air temps at engine start, but your area doesn't have this issue.

The temp gauge position is fine.

Keep the oil filled to the correct level and just keep driving.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
No oil on the dipstick could be just a couple of quarts low. Did the oil pressure light ever come on? If not, the engine should be OK.

Keep the oil filled to the correct level and just keep driving.
The oil pressure light never came on.

Now I just checked the level and it's higher than full...let's say full plus a little more than a 1/4. Will it be ok or I must absolutely drain the excess?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

1/4 quart too full, 1/4 of inch higher on the dipstick too full? Don't worry about it.