Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

new camry power on the 4 cyl....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Default new camry power on the 4 cyl....

We just bought a new 07 camry 4 cyl. about 2 weeks ago. I have read on here on a number of posts about lack of power on the 4 cyl. We have been very content with power and acceleration so far. It has beed only 2 weeks though. Is this something I need to worry about? The 4 cyl. seems to outperform the malibu v6 we just got out of. I liked the 4 cyl. for better mileage and ease of maintenance.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Default RE: new camry power on the 4 cyl....

wheather or not your vehicle has enough power is a person thing...if your content with the performance the pass two week, i don't see what you would be worried about from here on...just drive it and enoy..

Old 07-04-2007, 10:17 PM

I have an 05 camry 2.4 4cyl. Basically same motor. Im very impressed with the performance of my motor. Being a 4 cyl it always seems to have that punch you need when you want it. Just dont be looking to race it. Thats wont get you far lol. Its no supra.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM

I've had my 07 Camry 4cyl for about 7 months. About 2 or 3 months ago, I noticed that it started to develop a lot of hesitation when taking off from a stop.
I brought it to the dealer, who was absolutely no help. They told me to use Chevron gas. I'm now considering trading it in for something else.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM

im not gonna lie and not say i havent raced my (95, V6 3.0)Camry. the only thing i really notice is that no matter if shift it manully, once full throttle, it will find the next lowest gear. for example, im going about 30 mph and i shift it into first but when floored it goes to 2nd.. thust making the car lagg and make you tink your losing power. other then that, there is no problem with the power... and like toyoboy said, if your content with the power, then thats all it should matter. happy driving...

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

If you are happy with the power you are getting in the 4cyl then by all means keep it. Like toyoboy said, the amount of power the car has is a personal thing. Some people may choose a little more power and go with the v6 engine, rather than a 4cyl. For me personally i enjoy my 4cyl.I would like to think that my car isn't burning too much gas whenever i floor it on the highway.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: HayWire

I've had my 07 Camry 4cyl for about 7 months. About 2 or 3 months ago, I noticed that it started to develop a lot of hesitation when taking off from a stop.
I brought it to the dealer, who was absolutely no help. They told me to use Chevron gas. I'm now considering trading it in for something else.
thehesitation on the new camies is due to the fly by wire system....check for TSB for the same condition, may be there is a bulliten?

Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 AM

I too have experienced the hesitation and lack of acceleration with my 07 SE 4 cyl. I've had the car checked repeatedly by various Toyota dealerships only to be told the car is performing normally. This situation is exacerbated with use of the A/C too! I asked my local dealer if the TSB had been performed to correct this issue and was told it had already been done at the factory. After having numerous close calls....(trying to get the heck outta the way of fast oncoming traffic in Chicago), I called the Toyota customer experience line in California only to be told to "try another dealer to see if they know more than your local dealer." Needless to say, that sounded rather lame. Nonetheless, I tried their suggestion. Again, I was told the car was performing normally or "as designed." This led me to more calls to Toyota (California), and by the third call, they told me to take it back to my local dealer at which time they were going to call local dealer and suggest a re-flash of the ECU. I went to my dealer, only to be told my car had already had the most recent update done and they had done absolutely nothing to the car after they had determined this. Again, I called Toyota (California), only to be told that there was nothing to they could do to satisfy me. At this point, I filed a report with the National Transportation Highway Safety Bureau relating to them the life threatening position this car has put me in repeatedly. I'm amazed at Toyota's lack of willingness to acknowledge this issue. I've seen many, many postings on the net relating to this issue and know that I'm not alone. I'm also amazed that having been a loyal Toyota customer (past 5 cars have been Toyotas, including 3 Camry 4 cyl.) (purchased an 07 Camry and 07 Corolla within 45 days of each other) carries so little weight with Toyota customer relations. To compound the frustration, when I asked my local dealer to inspect the dash for squeaks and rattles that occur over every expansion strip in the highway, I was told they couldn't cover that issue under warranty past 2000 miles! To say I'm disappointed in what I used to think was the best car on the road, is an understatement!