Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   No oil pressure (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/no-oil-pressure-49462/)

Szolga 05-12-2014 08:09 AM

No oil pressure

On the weekend I changed my intake manifold gasket and my front and rear valve cover gaskets. The car started up fine but now when I the gets up to temp the oil pressure drops down to 0 and I can't figure out why. And another problem is that when i have the car in park the car sounds like I have upgrade the cams to the off idle ones but the weird thing is the rims don't move and I can't figure out how to get it back to regular idle. Can someone help me.

toyomoho 05-12-2014 09:40 AM

You have an oil pressure gauge? If so, prior to repairs what was the oil pressure at idle, engine warm?

What V6 engine model, 1MZFE, 3VZFE?

"Rims" don't move?

Check for air leaks, disconnected or damaged hoses, unconnected electrical plugs, etc.

How clean was the valve train? Normal varnish, lots of sludge, etc?

Szolga 05-12-2014 10:09 AM

i do i have a prosport oil prssure gauge

it is th e 3.0l 1mzfe

What do you mean rims ?

the vavle train looked brand new

toyomoho 05-12-2014 10:34 AM

"but the weird thing is the rims don't move and I can't figure out how to get it back to regular idle."

What does this mean?

toyomoho 05-12-2014 10:46 AM

Minimum oil pressure at idle (around 750 rpm) is 4.3 psi. At 3000 rpm 43-78 psi.

As the oil warms up it thins, and as a result oil pressure will drop.

What was the oil pressure at idle before the repairs, assuming the gauge was installed.

Szolga 05-12-2014 04:06 PM

oil pressure was 20 psi

toyomoho 05-13-2014 10:41 AM

Did you ever fix the idle problem?

Can't say for sure, just speculation.

Of course don't run engine with no oil pressure. Toyota states 4.3 psi at idle is OK.

There are some thoughts in removing the valve covers sludge debris plugged the oil return holes from the head. Oil could accumulate in valve cover area, the result being no oil in the pan. Also could you have left anything under the cover such as shop or paper towels, etc, to plug things up? When the pressure is approaching say 6 psi as idle, stop engine and check oil level in pan. Should be close to normal.

The oil pump has a pressure relieve valve which could be sticking.

Excess bearing clearances.

Have you changed the oil filter?

Recheck PCV system to make sure it was installed correctly.

Worn out oil pump.

Engine sludge plugging things up.

Is the oil pressure gauge electric or use an oil line. Was anything disturbed on the oil pressure gauge system when doing repairs? Suppose it is possible the intake to the oil pressure sender or oil line is getting plugged up.

The oil pump system is straight forward, being driven directly by the crankshaft snout. Removing the valve covers and intake manifold should not affect its operation. The low pressure and engine work may not be related.