Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Overheating 2003 4cyl. electric fans not working when 12v applied?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Default Overheating 2003 4cyl. electric fans not working when 12v applied?

Are both fans going to go out at the same time?
And what are each of the two fans powered by, (i.e. are they supposed to turn on at the same time?)
And why are there three fan relays when there are only two fans?
I have found no fuses for the fans, do they only have relays?

I have a 2003 XLE 4cyl engine with ~110k miles on it. I've owned it for about a year, bought from the original owner, and just the other day, (in Fresno around 100*) I noticed after a quick stop at a store, that when I got back in and started it up the AC didn't get cold right away, and the temp gauge was about 3/4s of the way up. A bit of detective work showed me that niether of the two electric fans were turning on.

I read up a bit on here and elsewhere, as well as the FSM at techinfo.toyota.com and I've ruled out the relays, they are functioning fine. Again, everything else functions fine, and only seems to overheat at a stop. Here's the kicker I just tested both fans by unplugging them and using speaker wire from the battery to the last plug for each they both fail to turn on. The battery tested fine and the wire tested was used on a light and it works fine.

The fan motors have two wires right? So unplugging them and hooking directly to 12v at any amprege should make them spin even if hooked up backwards?

This motor is impecibly clean, and I have all service records from orig owner. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited by 84runner; 08-12-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

It has happened that both fans fail, but rare.

There are 3 relays because the system has a high/low speed operation and also needs to operate when the AC compressor is working. High/low speed is running the fans motors in a parallel or series circuit.

To check apply 12V power to the harness plug of each fan. Make sure power is being applied to the wires going to the motor.

Check the wire colors, white/black wire might the ground on the radiator fan motor. The other motor (called AC condenser fan) may not have a white/black wire but red or red/black.

The radiator motor receives power from the No 1 relay, the return wire being grounded.

The condenser fan receives power from the No 3 relay. Its ground return wire route depends on if the motors are running in series or parallel but in any case routes through the No 3 relay.

Both fans should operate when the AC compressor is running.

The system may have circuit breakers labeled RDI and CDS.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM

Thanks, and I did just that; I ran 12v proven battery straight to the fans!? And nothing! It shouldn't matter that I reverse wireing or use crappy wiring right? Electric motors should run backwards and crappy wirring will just heat up, right?

Crazy they both don't work. Again, I haven't had a chance yet but I'm planning on removing the dual fans entirely and test them on the work bench to confirm, (no need in keeping them on the vehicle if they're not working) I'll have to check the RDI and CDS for fun.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, they can run backwards. It has happened both fail but rare.

You could hook up a volt meter to the chassis wiring harness, both fans should receiver power when the AC compressor cycles on.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Yes, they can run backwards. It has happened both fail but rare.

You could hook up a volt meter to the chassis wiring harness, both fans should receiver power when the AC compressor cycles on.
Ok I pulled the fans and bench tested.them both and they worked! Then I held the shroud hooked up the wiring started car w/ ac on and they both worked! Then I reinstalldd said fan and...

Well they both worked for a few minutes. The motors must be wearing out because each time they would stop working I would tap them with.a wrench and they would turn back on. I sprayed some electrical cleaner in the drain hole located at the bottom of each motor (i assume for moisture to drain out). Still worked the same.

I would like to replace just the motors or have them repaired, (want to keep the Denso/toyota parts. I will post part numbers later. Right now I can only find one of them used on eBay. Anyone know a good place to locate good used or replacement motors

Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Unless some kind of simple electrical issue repairing them may cost more then a new one.

The left and right side motors may be the same and appear to have been used from around 2001 to 2005.