Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Pescky sound at high RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Default Pescky sound at high RPMs

Hi all! New to the sight but not too forums. I've searched but couldn't find anything that sounds like the problem we are having.

We've got an 03 Camry XLE 4cyl with a little over 57,000 miles on it.

The noise is coming from right behind the dash on the drivers side. It sounds like something is forcing fluid through a small hole. I thought it may be the cable for the speedometer but I'm not sure new vehicles are still using cables from the trans to the speedo. We've had it at the dealer several times and nothing has changed. The last time they said they fixed it but NO!!!

The first time they found out there was a TSB/recall on something to do with the manifold and did that work and still nothing. Took it back again and said they found a couple of things loose, tightened them and still nothing. They even said they had an engineer from the manufacturer come in and he didn't even know what it was.

It only happens when you are at high RPMs say around 4500 and up. About the only time it's that high is when you are trying to pass someone and get into the skinny pedal real good.

I haven't really investigated it too hard because I don't think it's anything really bad to worry about but my wife it bothers her to no end. She thinks it's going to blow up or something!

So I thought I would find a Camry forum and see if anyone else has had this sort of problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pescky sound at high RPMs

This side of the dash has the heater core that circulates engine coolant and the AC evaporator the circulates Freon.

Next time this happens turn the AC off and heater temp to full cold. Determine if the noise goes away.