Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Possible Fuel System Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Default Possible Fuel System Issue

So, my Camry is a 5th gen 2003 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE. For a little while now I have been smelling Gasoline when the car is on. I gave the engine area a non-comprehensive check over looking for obvious leaks when it first happened. I couldn't find anything that looked out of the ordinary. I checked the OBD and the only thing that showed up was the thermometer is stuck open and it runs cool. The car does not create puddles when parked. I didn't put it at the forefront of my mind. My parents gave me an oil change for Christmas. I had work so my parents took my car to the Dealer where they changed the oil and told my parents I was leaking and it costs $1400 more to fix all the leaks. I wasn't able to inquire where the leaks are. It was fine for a good half a year, until today. It won't even try to start when I put the key in. I hear a small buzz from the electronics something trying to work. The Dash lights still work. Battery is still good and jumping won't help. The engine just wont make any noise. I coincidentally checked my OBD yesterday and it just says the same thermometer problem. I have no idea what is broken or leaking, but something is. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look or what might be wrong?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is the gas odor only when engine is running? From what area of the car, front, back, gas cap?

Are you handy with tools?

Can you take off the plastic cover on top of the engine that hides the fuel injectors? Injectors that may be leaking.

Can you get under the rear of the car? Fuel tank access is from under the car. In front of the tank (towards front of car) are emissions components. One component is a storage container for fuel tank fuel vapors. If this tank is cracked or has a broken hose, fuel vapors can escape.

Did your parents get a sheet listing details of the leak problem and what was going to be repaired? How did the dealer know the repair would cost $1400?

Suggest you do something about the ODB code. Having a cold engine when operating the car is not good as the engine is going to run too rich and engine wear increased.

For the non-start engine condition. Check the battery terminals for corrosion and poor electrical contact. You can jump the engine starter motor directly with a jumper cable to determine if it now operates.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:36 PM

The plastic cap is the part that is leaking.
The gas odor only comes on when the engine is running. Lucklyish, while trying to start the car, the odor would come through. This was happening because the car won't start but still pushed fuel down the line. Taking advantage of a bad situation, I followed my nose and by feeling up the engine I found this leaky part. It is connects the fuel rail and the fuel line and is pretty leaky. It seems just the yellow greenish cap is leaking. Feels cracked as if someone put it on too hard. The color of the plastic says it is just age. The smell always came from the front of the car. I am somewhat handy at tools, I do small things like oil changes, brake-rotor changes, and minor collision repair. My Father just told me it would be $1400 to fix the leaks and didn't specify where, what, or how. Funnily enough the service report says both the engine and tranny be leaking, but still no puddles. I tried posting this photo earlier but computer wouldn't take it. Thanks for the help! I still have no idea what the part is called and couldn't find it on the Toyota replacement part website.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM

It's running now. 'Twas just the starter broke a little. My uncle who is a mechanic came by unannounced coincidentally and diagnosed it. We hit the starter with a hammer while I cranked it and it started right up. I guess all the little problems caught up to me. Anyway, we are now fixing the leak and starter. It all works out in the end. Thanks again.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Great!

Post back with all the repairs you made.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM

All I did was just replace fuel pressure regulator and the starter. I learned a new word and part too. Before, I never heard of a fuel pressure regulator, but now I know. And knowing is half the battle. It's all good now. Panic averted. It probably will be fine until summer when I will have the time to do the thermostat. Surprisingly somewhat easy.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!