Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Proper ignition timing (IGN on scangauge II) for 2AZ-FE engine (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/proper-ignition-timing-ign-scangauge-ii-2az-fe-engine-49896/)

DIYDad 12-05-2014 07:03 PM

Proper ignition timing (IGN on scangauge II) for 2AZ-FE engine

I have an '09 Camry SE 2.4L (2AZ-FE) and am having bad bad hesitation and stall issues. Had a pend code of a misfire in cyl 2 that has not repeated (no actual CEL yet). Looking at my IGN values, when the worst hesitation occurs I drop into negative IGN readings. Thinking this is wrong. Anyone know what a "proper" range would be for this on take off or general harder acceleration?

DIYDad 12-05-2014 09:07 PM

Took a video tonight showing ignition timing (IGN on ScanGauge II). At 31 seconds, and again at 45 seconds, you will hear a misfire. I am in park, not driving. When I had heard this before I thought I had a clunk in the front, as I was driving. Hmmm.

Note: I muted the sound a bit in the first 11 seconds as there was a lot of noise from the door being open and the keys jingling. It gets louder at 11 seconds.

Plugging the gauge into my '97 Tacoma (2.7L) I never get negative IGN values.

toyomoho 12-06-2014 12:05 PM

Check fuel balance and correction with scanner to determine if fuel is too lean or rich. Also A/F sensor output in case of failing sensor.

You can try cleaning the MAF sensor. Use a product safe for plastics.

DIYDad 12-06-2014 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 88080)
Check fuel balance and correction with scanner to determine if fuel is too lean or rich. Also A/F sensor output in case of failing sensor.

You can try cleaning the MAF sensor. Use a product safe for plastics.

Will do. To me it smells rich coming out the pipe - can't recall it smelling like that in the past, but you know how it goes. You ignore it generally, then when something comes up you are hyper vigilant about every noise, look and smell. I'll see if the fellas at AutoZone can scan that for me. My ScanGauge won't tell me. I cleaned the MAF recently, but can certainly do it again, certainly have enough in the MAF cleaner can.

Do you by any chance know the resistance range for the coils? Can't find that anywhere. I will check all four of mine and see if any one is different, as in cylinder 2.

toyomoho 12-06-2014 09:48 PM

Can't seem to find coil resistance.

DIYDad 12-07-2014 04:24 PM

I scoured the FSM and it states NOTHING about testing the coils, just testing for spark. Out in the wild are general coil resistance posts for certain vehicles. I hooked up my ohm meter and got nothing anyway - as in OL as the only reading. So no joy there.

I ran a dry compression test a few ago and got 170 across all four cylindres, so that is good. FSM states 142-197, with allowable diff of 14 between cylinders. I was pretty much bang on 170 for each.

AutoZone hooked up their Actron, but the first guy did not even know it tested stuff, he just thought it looked for CELs. DOH. I had to show him. He got another guy and we looked at TPS values (appears to run smooth across acceleration) and anything else we could see, but without knowing proper ranges it might as well been Greek.

I've thrown up my hands in surrender and have a 7:30AM appointment at the stealership tomorrow, so will ask them to hook up to TechStream and let me know what they find.

I am hearing a buzzing noise in the engine. Tried to get a video of it here, but the camera mic is not so great. Best is about 9 seconds or so. You hear all the engine knock noise, but listen hard for a higher pitch buzz sound. Not sure if I have an exhaust leak, vacuum leak, or just something shaking around making a buzz noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoJ...ature=youtu.be

toyomoho 12-07-2014 08:33 PM

Given the coil and igniter are combined, coil resistance may not be relevant.

The engine is known to be noisy.

Suggest checking the following areas using a section of hose as a stethoscope.

The intake manifold is plastic and has air baffles. These baffles could come loose causing a clicking or buzz. Toyota may have fixed the problem by your year but might listen around the intake manifold.

The injectors can be loud.

The area of the exhaust cam sprocket (upper front of engine), the engine has VVTi which can make a click or knock if problems.

Timing chain area as tensioner can cause noise.

Serpentine belt tensioner and idler.

Alternator bearings and brushes.

DIYDad 12-07-2014 09:06 PM

Thanks. I know these 4 banger engines are prone to some noise, and I am only noticing this buzzing sound of late. Maybe the stealership can pinpoint it in the morning. I'll let them tell me what's up, then I can do the work :)

Patonium 12-07-2014 11:35 PM

Good luck and keep us posted, please.

DIYDad 12-08-2014 08:55 PM

As of the moment, after giving the dealer $186 of my coin to get back "I dunno", looks like it may be..... https://www.camryforums.com/forum/si...misfire-49897/