Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

cranks but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM
baz
Default cranks but won't start.

Donor car 96 vienta 3.0L v6 quadcam (3VZ-FE) was runnig sweet when parked to remove parts. Drained radiator and removed, removed airbox and and top section from throttle body ( undid screws and slightly pulled out what I thought was a connecter from what I now think is coil at end of airbox. Pushed back in and screwed on. Removed battery & washer bottle, Moved fuse boxes, Three relays, front and rear lights, top radiator support panel.
Reconnected earths, fuse boxes, radiator, relays and all wiring clips except lights.
Tried to start with alarm on and off did a few searches and will look at fuses, fuel pump and spark tomorrow. Cranks fine but will not start.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

If this car has a MAF sensor make sure the wire plug was reconnected.

The connector coil may be an air temp sensor.

Is this a Toyota alarm or aftermarket, if Toyota is there a red light blinking on the dash?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 AM
baz

Sorry, it was the airflow meter plug that I undid and put back on. Did not touch coil but I know where it is now. I have no spark. The security light does not come on but the horn sounds twice when you use the key pad. The first couple of times I put the battery in and out it just started without any security issues unlike the other camry I have in which the security works properly.
I refitted both earths on headlight looms, battery tray negative earth, and relay earths. It will be something simple, but the security might be the culprit.
I will do a search on, No Spark.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Some cars had a security system called the immobilizer that turned the ign off if the battery was removed and the system was not reset. There is a red LED light on the dash that blinks if the system is activated.

This not being a US car not up to speed as this engine was discontinued in the US for Camry around 93.

If the engine has an ign coil, check for spark by removing the wire going to the distributor from the coil.

If no spark check for 12 V DC power at the positive side of the coil, ign switch on.

This engine was used for a long time in Australia Camry (perhaps this is where you are). There are a Aussie Toyota forums such as:

au.toyotaownersclub.com

auscam.org

Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 AM
baz

Security seems fine works okay on/off.
Fuel rail is getting fuel with pump continually on when key is turned on.
With key on, coil is getting power and power at other end of wire to dizzy.
No spark at end of plug lead.
I tried another ignitor (box next to coil from a 94 model, same engine) but it made no difference so I will look at the dizzy tomorrow. Is there a way to test if the ignitor is working? or can I try mine on a vehicle that is otherwise working fine or is that a bad idea.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

There are no tests for the igniter except to swap them.

If you swap them for testing make sure the both have the same part number.

If you access to another car with the same engine start comparing readings for:

ign coil resistance-primary and secondary,
Pickup coil (inside distributor).

Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 AM
baz

I did not want to stuff around with the dizzy because I had not touched it. As I did touch the plug on the airflow meter I decided to look there first. I prized the top off the airflow meter and found that when I pulled the plug by unscrewing the screws I had dislodged two contacts inside the meter so I pushed them back down and bingo. Starts, idles and runs well enough to move around. thanks.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Great!