Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Rotation per minute problem? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/rotation-per-minute-problem-49871/)

raphaelmuller 11-26-2014 06:17 AM

Rotation per minute problem?

Hi there everybody!

I am a french backpacker travelling around Australia and i just bought a second hand TOyota Camry, year 2000, CSI, automatic transmission, 2.2 litres, unleaded, 4 cylinder, CCS, 336 000km (i know it is a lot but it received a good maintenance, i just had a security check and it drives well like pretty reliable, i just drove 3 000 km for 2 months without any problem)

Considering the fact that i don't know much about cars to bo honest (i know that 's bad but i don't have much time at the moment and mechanics are heaps expensive as well) so i'd just like to ask a quick question.

So my question is:
A few weeks ago, when turning on the vehicle, the RPM showed around 1200 and then went around 800 after a few seconds. In the same time the heat indicator for the motor went straightaway to the middle. Alright.

However a few days ago, when turning on, the RPM goes to 1400 and then goes around 1100.
Now when turning it on, i've seen it going to 1700 then goes around 1200 after a few seconds (and the weather is not specifically cold, around 13 in the night). And the heat indicator for the motor needs now more time to reach the middle (i need to drive 5mn then it stays in the middle).
Mn 14 degrés) et retomber ensuite a 1200 environ apres quelques secondes.

When i am driving the Rotation per minute always stays around 2100 so it looks fine. After driving a while and stopping, it is around 850.

The oil level is fine.

Do you think there could be a problem? Should i change the oil with a mechanic or something else?

Thank you guys for taking time to read this post!!

toyomoho 11-26-2014 09:39 AM

For the coolant temp gauge. What position is the needle on the gauge when the engine is warm? When engine is warm, does the needle move around? How about when your turn on the heater and blower to max heat?

Check the engine coolant level in the coolant reservoir. This is a small plastic tank on the passengers side of engine compartment. It has a small hose running from the filler cap on the radiator to the cap on reservoir. Make sure when engine is cold, the coolant level is midway up in the tank (the tank has markings).

When engine cold, check coolant level in radiator. Should at or very close to the top of the filler port.

Idle RPM is controlled by something called an Intake Air Control valve (IAC). This is an electric powered valve control by the engine computer and engine coolant temperature. It adjusts to route more or less engine intake air around the throttle plate. The throttle plate opens and closes based on gas pedal position and control engine RPM.

The valve can become dirty and stick. Cleaning the valve can help idle issues. Cleaning involves spraying a throttle body cleaner into the intake port of the valve.

Or could be the engines coolant system temperature sensor. This measures engine coolant temperature for the computer which in part adjusts idle.

The engine will respond to steering wheel turning because moving the wheel requires engine power. However the RPM should not change.

If going to a shop, have them check the coolant level and check into the IAC valve.