Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2007 Camry le v6 ... bucking on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Default 2007 Camry le v6 ... bucking on acceleration

Hi need help please!! This is year 2 w this issue.. last yr changing gas stations to only wawa stopped bucking....n I have not went anywhere else since then... just wawa gas...
when it’s really cold car has noise at start ... can’t explain noise ( that’s new) ... but when I accelerate under 40 mph the car “bucks” when the gears shift n only does it under 40 but does it all the time ... unless the cars been running for about 10 mints n I turn it off n on n it stops all together ... this happens only when it’s really cold BUT not all the time when it’s really cold! It usually never does it in the afternoons leaving work ... just in the mornings...My engine light has come on n goes off by itself... it says it’s the knock sensor 2 which I believe it’s more of a gas issue... how would a knock sensor be weather specific when it’s inside the engine? And if it really was the sensors why does it only happen in the winter... this makes no sense to me!!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Do research on winter/summer fuel blends in your area. These blends might be mandated by the states emissions board which may have a website.

Due to colder temps, winter fuel is formulated to evaporate easier.
It also may have ethanol added it or the amount increased to reduce SMOG emissions.

If possible, check Wawa gas to determine if it has a different blend, higher octane, etc then other brands. And if present, more or less ethanol.

Varying fuel blends should not cause a problem in engine operation if the engine is OK. It can change MPG (typically lower).

The issue may be the fuel blend changes enough in the winter. The engines knock sensor is bad. The combination causes engine problems.

Perhaps Wawa blends it fuel differently and the engine can digest it OK, while other brands of fuel no. A higher octane fuel may help or perhaps fuel additives that you put in the tank.

The knock sensor code means a problem with the sensor, wiring to it or ECM. Doubt it is the ECM.

Suggest checking wiring to sensor, harness electrical plug. If OK replace sensor. Unfortunately accessing the knock sensor requires taking off the intake manifold.

If thinking about changing the sensors, replace both. Use a decent brand of sensor such as Denso.

If deciding to DIY in changing the sensor. Since you have been dealing with the issue for 2 years. Suggest using Wawa gas until warmer weather to work on the car.