Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Shifting - Hard to Find R and No B at all (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/shifting-hard-find-r-no-b-all-52250/)

pythonregius24 05-02-2018 01:21 PM

Shifting - Hard to Find R and No B at all

Hello guys. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 141000 miles. The car drives and cruises great. The only problem is the shifter seems to be misaligned. Park works fine but Reverse, Drive are out of place. To put the car on drive, you have to shift all the way down which is B(D is above that. I do not have a B at all) For reverse, it is on the correct slot but have to hold it a bit to the right. Anyone knows what causing this? Thank you

toyomoho 05-02-2018 07:31 PM

The shift arm is connected to the trans by a push/pull cable. Perhaps something is misaligned in the shift mechanism.

The shift arm could be one gear off with the trans and not allow "B". Are you sure the trans is in "P" when the gear selector is in "P."

pythonregius24 05-02-2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98038)
The shift arm is connected to the trans by a push/pull cable. Perhaps something is misaligned in the shift mechanism.

The shift arm could be one gear off with the trans and not allow "B". Are you sure the trans is in "P" when the gear selector is in "P."

@toyomoho. Thanks for responding. Yeah I think the transmission is in P because I am able to start the car. It would not start if it wasn't on P correct? I just hope it's not something inside the transmission, hoping that's it's only cables or linkage or something.

toyomoho 05-03-2018 12:03 AM

The trans has a shaft that rotates to change gears. The shaft has an arm that attaches to the shift cable. The shift lever in the car moves the cable.

Behind the arm is a switch that rotates with the arm. The switch tells the cars computer and gear indicator switches what gear the trans based on the arms rotational position.

Do the gear selection indicator lights on the dash match the gear the trans is in?

pythonregius24 05-03-2018 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98040)
The trans has a shaft that rotates to change gears. The shaft has an arm that attaches to the shift cable. The shift lever in the car moves the cable.

Behind the arm is a switch that rotates with the arm. The switch tells the cars computer and gear indicator switches what gear the trans based on the arms rotational position.

Do the gear selection indicator lights on the dash match the gear the trans is in?

Yes the lights matches the gear it is in.

toyomoho 05-03-2018 11:02 AM

Check is if the shift cable is still firmly connected to the trans lever and the switch bolted to the trans.

Look in the engine compartment for a push/pull cable coming out of the firewall. Follow the cable to the trans.

Have someone shift gears (engine off, ign key on, foot on brake). Watch the action in this area. Check for excess play at the cable connection and loose switch movement.

If this area is accurate this leaves the gear selector. Is is possible something dropped into the gear shift mechanism or something came loose?