Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   What is this knocking sound? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/what-knocking-sound-52241/)

Obiroyce 04-29-2018 01:55 AM

What is this knocking sound?

Hello people. I bought a Camry 2000 from a used car dealer last year and noticed it has a slight knock on cold start. It disappears on warming up and the car drives well. I eventually found out the thermostat has been removed and I can't tell how long the car has been driven without it. I've replaced the thermostat but my concern now is that the knocking sound has worsened and takes longer to go while warming up. But after running for like 25 mins, the engine sounds normal and you don't hear any knocking sound.
Engine is a 5sfe. I may upload a video with the sound to YouTube and post the link here if necessary.

toyomoho 04-29-2018 10:43 AM

Use a section of hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the location of the sound.

Listen at the valve cover area, side of block area that is level with the crank pulley and then below this area. Also at the passenger and drivers sides.

Once the engine has warmed a little but still knocking, gun it. Listen if the knocking gets louder as the RPM increases.

Utube has posts on something called "rod knock" for 5SFE engines.

What are outside air temps at your location?

Obiroyce 05-01-2018 03:00 AM

I've not been able to check with a hose but I tried gunning it while still knocking and the knocking didn't seem to get louder. It actually went down a bit but came up again once I let my foot off the gas pedal.

toyomoho 05-01-2018 04:46 PM

Best bet is the trying to locate the area of the noise.

Valve cover area (valve train issues). Passengers side area (timing belt, water and oil pump). Drivers side area (loose flywheel). Area level with the crank (rod and crank bearings). Area below crank (balance shaft gear failure).

A rod bearing will get louder as the revved RPM falls off peak.

Utupe most like had videos with audio on engine noises. Search on 5SFE engine noise/knock.

mack101 06-26-2018 05:03 PM

Well what you described at first with the knocking at startup until it warms sounds like lifter knock .This can be due to dirty oil channels that are restricting oil flow to the lifters i have a chevy venture minivan with a 3.4 ( i know bad buy) anyway it done this at first it would just do it at startup until it warmed up but then started it almost all the time.what i did was run some seafoam in the oil for about 300 miles then i made sure i got a oil filter with anti drain vavle also i perfer a little thicker oil so i changed it from synthetic 5 30 to convientinal 10 40.After i done this i had no more knock even at startup but if you listened to the valve covers you should have heard the lifters if that is the problem.