Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Wrecked 1997 toyota camry

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Default Wrecked 1997 toyota camry

Edit: This is a 1997 Camry xle forgot that lol...

Ok, so last night I let my friend go run an errand in my car, and he was in an hit and run accident. So the story goes he had the green light, and the guy ran the red light. He tagged the back of their car and the guy took off. Anyway, it got towed because it wouldn't start so I went and got it out of the tow lot today. I had to push it out and leave it on the street because it wouldn't start. The engine cranked up and everything, just wouldn't start. I've hear that it's possible that a fuel shut off switch initiates when it's in a crash to prevent a fire. Any possible fixes you guys know of? Here some pictures of the aftermath

Also I got uninsured motorist on my insurance, will a hit and run accident be covered? Thanks guys

Last edited by jessee; 02-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

This car does not have a crash shutoff relay.

Depending on the engine type and year there is typically a two pronged safety system involving a few relays. The main relay is called the circuit opening relay (COR) located behind the glove box. This relay controls power to the fuel pump.

When the engine is cranking over during starting a circuit is closed that engages one solenoid coil on this relay to close it. When the engine starts another circuit senses this via either the ignition igniter or MAF sensor and a second solenoid engages to keep the relay closed.

If the engine is not running or cranking power to the fuel pump is cut off.

Check for ign spark. If OK check for fuel getting into the cylinders via the injectors (plugs are wet).

Check all fuses, battery connections, fusible links, etc.

As to insurance, not an agent. Before calling suggest you read your policy. Determine if it covers the car when someone else is driving it. Uninsured motorist is typically for injuries. Someone hits you, your injured. They can't pay, your insurance will pay up till the amount covered by the insurance policy. Hit and run would be covered for injuries.

Collision insurance is what typically covers car damage. If you have this type of insurance and the person causing the crash can't pay, your insurance pays.

Check about premium increases as a claim typically over a certain dollar amount can result in higher insurance rates.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
This car does not have a crash shutoff relay.

Depending on the engine type and year there is typically a two pronged safety system involving a few relays. The main relay is called the circuit opening relay (COR) located behind the glove box. This relay controls power to the fuel pump.

When the engine is cranking over during starting a circuit is closed that engages one solenoid coil on this relay to close it. When the engine starts another circuit senses this via either the ignition igniter or MAF sensor and a second solenoid engages to keep the relay closed.

If the engine is not running or cranking power to the fuel pump is cut off.

Check for ign spark. If OK check for fuel getting into the cylinders via the injectors (plugs are wet).

Check all fuses, battery connections, fusible links, etc.

As to insurance, not an agent. Before calling suggest you read your policy. Determine if it covers the car when someone else is driving it. Uninsured motorist is typically for injuries. Someone hits you, your injured. They can't pay, your insurance will pay up till the amount covered by the insurance policy. Hit and run would be covered for injuries.

Collision insurance is what typically covers car damage. If you have this type of insurance and the person causing the crash can't pay, your insurance pays.

Check about premium increases as a claim typically over a certain dollar amount can result in higher insurance rates.
Thanks, i'm going to look at it asap

Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Ok, so i can't get it running and i know it haves something to do with the fuel pump. I can't smell any gas even when trying to flood it. It makes no sense though that a crash with no interior damage to ruin the fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas on why it's not starting due to getting no gas? Please I need help bad, taking the bus to college really blows....

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Try applying DC power directly to the pump. The access cover is under the rear seat lower seat cushion. The wire colors may be blue/black (positive) and white/black (negative).

Old 02-27-2011, 05:39 PM

Try applying DC power directly to the pump. The access cover is under the rear seat lower seat cushion. The wire colors may be blue/black (positive) and white/black (negative).
Ok so I finally got enough time to get a tow, and i tried this. I finally heard the pump come on, but before when trying to start the car it wouldn't. However, i had no luck in starting the car. It does that same thing, it will turnover but wont start. Is there any chance it's a relay? All advice and ideas are welcome, and now since the car is in my drive way I can try each asap. Also I can provide pictures on request of whats needed, thanks!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check for ign spark?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Did you check for ign spark?
Nope, Will do tomorrow when it's light out. Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

poor Toyota, I'm sure you'll cost a lot to fix the wreck!Good luck buddy!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM

Hey guys sorry to take so long to get back to you but I had a lot going on. Anyway I made a video to explain my situation a lot more.

YouTube - 1997 toyota camry wreck, easy fix? Help greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: Wrecked 1997 toyota camry