Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

wrecked 99 camry- now have black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Default wrecked 99 camry- now have black smoke

ok so, i rear ended some lady. pushed the radiator all the way up to the exhaust manifold, actually knocked the engine back about half an inch. bent the o2 sensor over, but its still working as far as i can tell. runs anyway. the idle kind of fluctuates maybe from 550-650? in the accident the airbox was destroyed by my battery. so i just got a short ram intake (why not right?) this might be the problem but i don't know. i have black smoke coming out of tailpipe, this means rich mixture right? would a bad o2 sensor cause a rich mixture?

so i have 2 problems, fluctuating idle, also does it while driving, if you hit the gas and let off, it'll drop down to idle and then jump to 800 for a second and then go normal.

second problem, black smoke. possibly caused by bad o2 sensor?

the intake...has 2 hoses on it, 1 goes to the valve cover, the other goes down to the right side to a tube that comes from the back of the car, guessing its part of the evap system?
am I missing an important hose for the intake? maybe another sensor i missed, i have the IAT in there..but its inside a tube sticking out of the pipe, not right inside the intake tube.

i'm going to try cleaning the IAC and mount the IAT inside the pipe.

any help much appreciated

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Default RE: wrecked 99 camry- now have black smoke

ok heres an update. i put the IAT sensor inside the intake pipe , i cleaned out the butterfly valve/mas/iac? w\intake/carb cleaner. no improvement.

so...i started looking at all the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold. found a loose hose, that i did not take off. and started looking for where it could go, i noticed a small piece of plastic like what the hose would connect to inside, so it must have broken off of a sensor. there was a vacuum sensor bolted to the firewall at the very top by the throttle, with no hose. so right now i'm epoxying a piece of tubing to the vacuum sensor

i held the hose to the sensor with it running and it smoothed right up, purs like a kitten again

i'll write back to say if it fixed my smoke problem, but it definitely fixed my idle/fluctuations.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Typically if a sensor is bad, broken or removed from the circuit the computer will notice this, assume a problem and revert back to a fixed input setting for that sensor. Thus if the intake air sensor system fails, the computer will assume the temp is guessing 68F and use this figure to make fuel adjustments.

The sensor that is mounted on the firewall is the MAP sensor, this is needed by the computer to know how much air is being drawn into the engine. Without the sensor the engine can idle and run strangly.

A bad O2 sensor can cause a rich mixture and decreased MPG but never heard of it causing black smoke. Try unplugging the sensor to determine if this makes a differance. Remember there is more then one O2 sensor on the exhaust system.

Is the check engine light on, this system monitors the emissions system. The O2 sensor and EVAP system are part of this system.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 AM

ok, so the MAP sensor was my problem, runs great no smoke now. only problem now....is the radiator fans don't ever turn off. i turn the key to the ON position (not started) and the fans are on.

in the accident my fuse box was destroyed, ripped all the relays off the top. but i replaced all that already, so i don't think it's a relay. but possibly, any way to find out whats causing it?

is the sensor in the bottom of the radiator the one that controls the fans, or is there a temp sensor in the engine somewhere? its either a sensor or a stuck relay...