Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   02 camry with rough idle/stalling (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/02-camry-rough-idle-stalling-3278/)

slvrspec8 02-22-2008 08:08 AM

02 camry with rough idle/stalling

ive got an 02 camry that for some reason will start up fine but will somtimes die intially after start up or when stopping at a light or stop sign. i changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, did fuel injection cleaner, changed the air filter, checked the battery and alternator and the car still has the problem can anyone shine some light on this problem??? someone also told me i may need to regap the plugs as i did not do this when i put them in anyone also know the gap for these cars plugs? i was also thinking it could possibly be a bad iacv. one last question would be do these cars come with any type of idle relearn that can be done with the foot and key sequence?

toyomoho 02-22-2008 11:25 AM

RE: 02 camry with rough idle/stalling

The IAC valve may need cleaning. If you remove the air intake hose from the throttle body and look in at the throttle plate, you should see a large air intake slot for the IAC.

Spray some cleaner in the area or remove the IAC and clean it. Use only a cleaner that is safe for plastics (read the labels or ask the auto parts person).

gutierrez_er 02-23-2008 10:59 AM

You might also look into cleaning the EGR (exhaust gasrecirculation valve), were the old spark plugs bad? theremight be a high buildup of carbon residue in the EGR causing the problem.

05cam 02-23-2008 06:36 PM

try as mentioned above. clean the iac valve out by removing intake hose and spraying a cleaner. something like throttle body cleaner will work fine, i like seafoam. Id say seafoam it all:)

cirbyboy 06-27-2009 04:08 AM

where is the IAC located on the 2002 camry 2.4??

pedro 06-27-2009 05:49 AM

At the throttle body.

cirbyboy 06-28-2009 03:12 AM

I called the dealership (which i should have done in the first place) and they said that the 2002 2.4 liter camry doesn't have an IAC because it has a throttle positioning sensor and a throttle body sensor.. which i thought was stupid.. But at least im not crazy for not finding it.. haha

pedro 06-28-2009 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by cirbyboy (Post 23276)
the 2002 2.4 liter camry doesn't have an IAC because it has a throttle positioning sensor and a throttle body sensor

Not sure I understand the dealer's reply. Who did you ask, a mechanic or one of the "service advisors"? All the fuel injector engines I have seen have a TPS and "throttle body sensor" (probably a MAF) AND an IAC. The TPS sends signals to ECU to control fuel and the "throttle body sensor" also sends signals to control fuel - neither will regulate idle as far as I understand.

84runner 08-07-2010 09:08 AM

slvrspec8 - so whatever happened, did you solve the problem? I have the same symptoms in my 03 2.4L AT.