General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Camry alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Default 96 Camry alarm

Help! I can't disable the alarm system w/out disconnecting the battery (which is new)- problem began when the ignition wouldn't turn over. The alarm then went off for about three minutes, only to begin again when I opened the car door to get out. I got a new car battery, thinking this might help, but no- still the same issue. There is a switch (looks like a kill switch) justover the accelerator and brake pedals, but this doesn't do anything. Also, there is nothing about an alrm system in the owner's manual. Do I need to pull out a fuse? If so, which one? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Ande

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Camry alarm

If this is a Toyota installed alarm try locking the car and opening it with a key.

If you have the type of key with the chip inside try starting it with this key, try both gray and black key if you have them.

If you have some kind of aftermarket alarm try the following:

Look under the dash for a button or switch. If there is one try the following: Turn ign key to the on position before engine crank. Within 5 seconds press and hold in the override button until the LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes solid and the siren chirps once.

If there is a toggle switch instead of button repeat the process but turn the switch in opposite direction then turn ignition switch off.

Many after market alarms are installed into the ignition switch Remove the cover under the steering column and look at the wiring to the ign switch area to see if something was added. Removing the fuse for this alarm should disable the system.