General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'07 Tranny dispstick - how to read?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Default '07 Tranny dispstick - how to read?

I'm trying to check my atf level ('07 4-cyl. auto) but not sure how to read the dipstick and there's no diagram or any explanation in the manual. There are two notches *very* close together (like 2mm apart) low on the dipstick marked COOL, and then two notches *very* close together several inches higher up on the dipstick marked HOT. Are each of those two notches the respective COOL and HOT "low" and "full" notches?

Right now, when doing a hot, engine-running check, my level is midway between the two COOL notches and the two HOT notches. So does that mean I'm low on atf and should bring it up to at least the lower of the two HOT notches?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, each set of notches is for either a cold or hot fluid measurement.

Hot fluid has a temp of 155-175F.

The trans fluid will expand as it heats ups and as such need a different set of notches to correctly measure the fluid quantity.

To check fluid when hot or cold start engine and move the gear selector between Park and Low gear then back to Park. Check fluid with engine still running.

Checking the fluid when hot is the most accurate method.

If adding fluid, add a small quantity between checks. Give the added fluid time to move down the dipstick pipe into the trans for a more accurate reading.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Thanks tomoyoho. What I'm really questioning is the tiny separation between the low/add marks and the full marks (because they aren't actually marked "L" and "F" or anything). So it's correct that there is only about 2mm between the low/add marks and the full marks? I've just never seen them that close together before. This seems kind of crazy - if it's at the low mark, I need to add fluid to bring it up......2mm on the stick??? Isn't that going to be like a tablespoon or something? How would that tiny amount make a difference? Or maybe the way the stick dips into the reservoir, that 2mm on the stick actually translates into a half quart or something, is that the case? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The owners manual would have a drawing of the stick and info on how to read the indicator marks.

Few sticks have an L or H marking it is assumed the lower one is Low and the Higher one High.

Perhaps the design of this trans model needs to have a more precise fluid level then older trans. On even later model trans the fluid needs to be checked via a port on the case but only at a certain temp as indicated by a temp sensor inside the trans. Excess fluid is then allowed to drain out to achieve the proper level.

Doubt if the difference between marks is a quart. On some Toyota's trans a quarter inch movement of fluid on the stick was a just few ounces. One reason to fill the trans slowly and yes this can be a pain but once the proper level is reached it is not going to change.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM

You'd think the manual would have a diagram, wouldn't you? Every other car I've owned has, but not this one...I expect it's because they say this fluid is "lifetime fluid" and never needs changing, so they give you no information. I'm not buying that though.

Anyway, I guess I understand the dipstick now, so thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

If lifetime fluid the fill range may be much narrower as may be synthetic.

The dealer is still supposed to examine the fluid during service and compare its color with a color chart. If too brown per the chart it needs changing. As such the fluid is not really life time as why have a color chart.

You may be able to find the chart on the internet.

I would not go over 100K no the fluid, perhaps 60-80K may be better. Dirty and worn trans fluid is the No 1 cause of trans failure.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM

yep, I'm at 70K right now, so I'm changing, I don't care what they say about it being lifetime.

Thanks again for the help!